Painting an old room

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Bigstinka, May 18, 2019.

1. Bigstinka

Bigstinka Member

doing an old room up in a house that hasn’t been painted in 40 years. Sanding down the wall and some off the paint is flaking off showing the bare plaster. The holes are fillable but what should I prime the wall with?

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Get paint off and prime walls. Thin scraper or wallpaper scraper or even a chisel will work

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Probably distemper.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If it's distemper which I doubt, it will wash off with hot soapy water.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I sand off distemper and quick and easy to do but I have the kit. Used to wash it off that took hours and a mess, but that's the cheap option. Put plastic down and steam to soften then get at it with a scraper is another option. Problem is any treatment you put on won't last forever and if paint is coming away then spend the time getting it all off

7. Bigstinka

Bigstinka Member

Thanks for all your advice. The electrician put some chases in the wall to put cabling for some new sockets. What’s best to fill them in? They are about an inch deep and an inch wide. Thansk

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

50/50 water and pva. Let it dry a few hours then bang in bonding plaster.. Sometimes I put wide masking tape up either side and just as bonding is setting wet sponge it so bonding is back a bit then pull masking. Keeps the bonding off the surface paint and just neater

9. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I’d fill them with mortar up to a few millimetres from the surface and then later fill the remaining space with plaster.