Painting Concrete Block

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Chippa, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Chippa

Chippa New Member

I have painted the inside of my garage, however the finish isn't to my satisfaction.

The walls are concrete block and rather rough. I used Wickes Trade Masonary paint applied with a sheepskin roller.

After two coats there are still several places where the original surface is still visible due to the rough finish of the blocks.

Any advice?

2. potty painter

potty painter New Member

I would'nt tend to blame the paint for this, more the wrong choice of sleeve. Whilst a pile sleeve is the correct choice, a medium or long pile should rough substrates such as concrete blocks require you to use a brush to

3. potty painter

potty painter New Member

I will have another go at this one. I would'nt tend to blame the paint for this, more the wrong choice of sleeve. Whilst a pile sleeve is the correct choice it should have been a medium or long pile, however concrete blocks can sometimes be a little difficult to cover with a roller. And the need for some brushwork will be needed.

Potty.

4. Macbeth

Macbeth New Member

Hi Chippa.

Did the very same thing with my own garage. Started off thinking that masonry paint would be best or even needed, but ended up using emulsion in one area when I ran out - and it still looks just as good as the masonry painted area...

Anyways, I used a cheapo airless spryer to start with - you can get them for £20+, possibly less - and this will fire the paint into every little crevice. Only prob is that it'll need thinning so the obliteration ain't as good - the darkness of the concrete will show through when it dries, so in theory more coats will be needed.

A bit noisy, and the vibes ain't brilliant either, so what I ended up doing was giving it all a single spraying so's it was all white, and then doing the additional coats with a medium pile roller with neat paint.

No paint gaps, and a much brighter garage!