Painting Disaster

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Sadly Did It Myself, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Sadly Did It Myself

Sadly Did It Myself New Member

I used to fine a sandpaper before glossing over gloss and now the gloss isn't bonding properly to skirting boards and doors. Feel very angry and sad at how stupid I have been. Done it for parents who are of holiday and really want to get it right. Anyone have any good advice on how to fix this mess? How long do you have to wait before sanding? It looks great, which makes it very difficult to get the motivation to fix.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What gloss have you used, water base or oil...and over what previous paint finish?

3. Sadly Did It Myself

The first ingredient is Hydrocarbons, so I assume oil (Dulux Non Drip Gloss wood and metals). No idea what the previous gloss was (looks a similar finish). Sorry, novice at DIY, which was probably obvious by my idiotic error. Weirdly it peels off easier than it sands off. Will takes weeks to correct my error never mind complete the job.

4. Sadly Did It Myself

The gloss still had a sheen to it after my sanding, so I screwed up big time.

5. Sadly Did It Myself

The previous gloss was very yellow, so must have also been oil based gloss.

6. Sadly Did It Myself

The Dulux gloss claims to be self-undercoating. No idea if that means the light sanding should have been enough or if sanding is really necessary when applying oil based gloss to oil based gloss (it does say remove all sheen though. Whoops). Finding it difficult to sand down, but it peels off and weirdly scoffs with friction.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I'm lost one moment it looks great and the next it's peeling off.:confused:...what's peeling off..the old or new paint?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  8. Sadly Did It Myself

It looks great to look at, but not sure whether it has bonded. Can oil based gloss bond correctly to oil based paint when the most of the sheen was present prior to painting? Not sure whether to leave it another week or so, or accept defeat and continue the nightmare of sanding and re-glossing.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Gloss on gloss is not ideal as it will chip fairly easy, a good sanding is required and a wash over with sugar soap followed by a rinse off would have helped. Next time use Zinsser Bullseye 123 over the old gloss and then follow with your non drip gloss, or better still a good sand down, 1 coat Crown Trade Fast Flow primer/undercoat followed by 2 coats of Crown Trade Fast Flow gloss.

Can you post a photo of the problem?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  10. Sadly Did It Myself

Cheers, so gloss on gloss will adhere, but it will look terrible in time as chips will be a nightmare. Going to take 5 times longer to remove the gloss than put it on (beyond angry at myself tbh). Was hoping re-applying oil based paints on oil based paints was different, but it appears not. The bonding appears great in some places, but poor in others (difficult to show on photos), which is making sanding very difficult. Not entirely sure if it's worth standing all the tough to remove gloss off.

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Duct tape applied over the new gloss could be worth a try if you have a roll kicking about.

12. Sadly Did It Myself

I've resigned myself to the fact that I will have to prioritise the places I have time to sand back and re-gloss in the next 2 weeks, doing nothing but this. After a week of glossing, I now feel mentally (thinking of the task I have ahead and what I have done) and physically exhausted. It sucks to be me right now. Thanks for your advice. Didn't want to hear it though :(

13. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

Did you degrease it before painting? over time gloss paint can get a nice layer of chip fat on it, quick wipe with sugar soap sorts it.

14. Sadly Did It Myself

I cleaned it with soapy water, then water and give it a light sanding with 220 grit. Obviously not hard enough to remove all the sheen. Good point though, but I suspect it was the lax sanding, as some places the gloss is a nightmare to sand off and others it is much easier. I plan to sand back those areas that are visible and easily chipped. It's taking an age to remove the new gloss. I have been cursing myself for the past 24 hours. I just thought it needed a bit of abrasion in the gloss, not the whole sheen removed. Been an idiot.

15. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

Electric sander?

16. Sadly Did It Myself

Might need to but lots of awkward spaces need doing. Just managed to sand the skirting boards in one bedroom removing approx 85-90% of new gloss and that took a whole day. Can that be primed and glossed or does it need to be all the new gloss? No idea how I'm going to fix this mess (very depressed now). It's a nightmare to sand but with a lot of pressure will crinkle.

17. Sadly Did It Myself

After 1 day of sanding with little luck, you have convinced me to buy some duct tape. It could save me weeks of graft. Worth a punt.

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

All mentioned in post #9

19. Sadly Did It Myself

I know you are correct, I just don't want to believe it, as the work involved is overwhelming. It means a 10 day job becomes months of graft. Your Duct tape idea is perfect because if it holds then the bond must be good, however if not the new gloss is removed then less work to do. I understand Duct tape is super sticky, so should be a good test.

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As mentioned earlier...photo would help.

The drying time of the paint is circa 16 hours I believe, it takes a further few days to fully cure.