Painting doors paint seems to be "Dragging"??

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by jizzer, Nov 17, 2007.

1. jizzer

jizzer New Member

I have painted quite a few doors over the years (DIY)only but never had a problem.
    The doors are the 6 panel types grained.

The last lot i did a couple of years ago no problem used eggshell dried nice matt finish

Used dulux trade satin wood on these a nightmare the paint seems to be dragging when ive painted panels then paint styles and rails any overlap paint seems to be going off already?? dont get alot of time to work it???

Tried thinning with a little white spirit but not much better.

I have read the post about the satin wood on here but I am noticing on the smooth skirting/architrave dries to a matt finish on the doors I am painting dries to a semi gloss....Not pleased I have always used Dulux paint but fed up might give the crown solo ago next (satin)

Using newley bought Hamilton perfection 2" brush ..quite soft might have a go with the hamilton contractor brush seems a little more stiff/stubbier.

Any tips for painting these type of panaled doors

Brush size?
    Technique?
    Does Temperature affect finish?

anything....this is becoming a chore!!!!!

2. mardyoldgit

mardyoldgit New Member

Dont think you're doing yourself any favours using a new Perfection brush. They're a nightmare to use from new in oil paints, take loads of working in. Very rare I use Satin wood so cant really comment on the paint.
    Suggest trying a different brush though, Purdy maybe?

3. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Crank the heat up or............use "Solo".

4. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Sounds like your technique, always use Dulux Trade Satinwood without any dramas, could also be a bit too chilly :)

5. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

put a drop of owatrol oil in. I tend to also use a small infa red heater if the temp is low.

6. jizzer

jizzer New Member

Sounds like your technique, always use Dulux Trade
    Satinwood without any dramas, could also be a bit too
    chilly :)

Whats your technique then? :)

7. Telmay

Telmay New Member

8. Cecilh

Cecilh New Member

Jizzer,
    I'm possibly to late answering you but it may help others with similar problems. I'll guess these are new doors. Depending where they are bought from it appears the primer is little more than blit (very cheap emulsion).

Perhaps the easiest thing to do is give them a <u>quick, thin coat</u> of acrilic or possibly good quality emuslion, don't rule out silk even (but very thin). Worse, though I suspect you have already coated them all. Wash the blooody stuff off. Now you have the base needed to procede.

It would not disturb me to use a brand new Hamilton Perfection but just maybe it's not the brush for you.

With regard to Satinwood, despite having a bias against Dulux paints is not too bad to use. Try between 10% - 15% white spirit (not turps) in it, mix thoroughly.

If you still can't get the finish you want, Try another paint. Akzo Nobel Macpherson's eggshell is brilliant and there are trade stares all over the place.

9. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Using emulsion paint is bad advice and IMO shody practice.

If the primer is the problem then far better to give it a light sand and either a coat of zinser or acrylic primer/undercoat.

Imo advising a diyer to thin with white spirit is also not good advice. A drop of owatrol oil will make the paint easyer to brush but will not reduce the opacity as adding white spirit does.

10. jcts

jcts Active Member

thin the paint with some owatrol oil. then apply with a mini roller as this is much quicker and wont let the paint go off. then lay off with a brush

11. jizzer

jizzer New Member

No the doors are not new already had a matt finish but on applying satinwood have a more semi gloss appearance.

Just to get this straight if i thin down the satin wood paint with white spirit would that make the finish shinier or duller?

12. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

It will make it duller.
    You really shouldn't be thinning it because you're finding it difficult to apply.

Oddly enough, what cess said about silk...I know a painter that uses silk on these kind of doors (not me)..and a real good job he makes of them as well.

13. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

guttercat, acrylic primer/ undercoat has similar propertys to matt emulsion but is formulated for the job, emulsion is not.

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

What prep did you do to the previous matt finish ?

It can be a funny bug ger to paint over, especially if it is a bit 'chalky'. tends to dry the paint you are applying to it, and in some cases won't stick to.

Needs a good wash with something like sugarsoap at least.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

15. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

guttercat, acrylic primer/ undercoat has similar
    propertys to matt emulsion but is formulated for the
    job, emulsion is not.

I know.

16. jcts

jcts Active Member

use owatrol oil to thin it down. it wont take the shine out of it or take the opacity from the paint

17. Cecilh

Cecilh New Member

I had thought that these doors were new and had been primed with the latest primer. A coating which is incredibly reminiscent of blit (abbreviation of "obliterating") emulsion. Trying to get any subsequent coating on top of this stuff is an absolute horror and will pull paint off any brush on contact. Whatever they are primed with should be made illegal.

My first suggestion was to give them a thin coat of acrylic - that is overprime as to say. Followed by emulsion. Emulsion being of a vinyl type as opposed to a contract Emu. And an option of silk. All these materials can be thinned right down with approx. 30% water, sometimes even more. Coating thus will seal said door manufacturers primer, enough that you can now coat the doors in a traditional way.

While all the above suggestions are perfectly do-able for interior works, I would not use either product, including acrylic on exteriors.

Finally, I suggested wash the primer off. That being done one is left with bare wood, which would obviously need priming again. Bare timber, oil paint. However, I still say one of the above paints is perfectly OK on interior work.

Zinser, which one? BIN or 123 would be fine. You would still have to thin them down. Both have a quick tak and unless you can work at considerable speed (on blit), you could end up with a hell of a mess with brush lines or knotty/ropy marks (like double brush marks, which do resemble rope profile). Plus the cost is pretty horrendous. Wash off first I guess, then use a Zinser primer.

White spirit, not to be confused with turpentine is a fundamental ingredient of all solvent-based paints. I have the greatest confidence that most people will be able to use a thinner paint than one which is thick. I've been in this trade for some years and white spirit has followed me and THOUSANDS of other decorators through out our lives.

Moderate use of WS should not make very much difference to the glow of paint indoors. It may let it down enough on your Satinwood to be more acceptable. Satinwood and oil eggshell should lose some of its initial lustre after a week or so.

OWATROL OIL, however, is a relatively new product on the market. Is it proven? short term maybe. Long term? Well we'll have to wait a long time to see. Read any paint can. Part of its application data will tell you thin with white spirit. Not one says thin with OWATROL OIL. Thinning/adding % to paint 5-10 and as much as 50%. Bah. Horses for courses.

Phew, Guttercat. I/You, may have it wrong. I would not paint a door panelled, flush or otherwise with silk. That is a definite NO NO.

18. jcts

jcts Active Member

OWATROL OIL, however, is a relatively new product on
    the market. Is it proven? short term maybe. Long
    term? Well we'll have to wait a long time to see.
    Read any paint can. Part of its application data will
    tell you thin with white spirit. Not one says thin
    with OWATROL OIL. Thinning/adding % to paint 5-10 and
    as much as 50%. Bah. Horses for courses.

i have been using it for over 2 years and every job i have been back to, the wood work has been spot on. white spirit will knock all the ******** out of your paint and take the shine out of the finish, owatrol oil doesn't!

19. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

I said : ...I know a painter that uses silk on these kind of doors (not me)..and a real good job he makes of them as well.

I would use "Solo" and have done many times on these type of doors.. and a wonderful job it/ I makes of them as well.

No clowning around with white spirit/ owatrol/zinsser bin 123/ 456 or anything else.

Try it.

20. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Thinning with white spirit takes a bit of practice, too mutch and you take the shine out. The op may end up causeing a further problem as opposed to solving one.

The problem may be a simple one that the paint is being stored in an unnheated garadge and is simply cold.

Ive been using owatrol for almost twelve months after reading about it on here and have found it excelent to date.