Painting Floorboards Help

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Vierjennings, May 17, 2016.

1. Vierjennings

Vierjennings New Member

Hi

My partner & I made a rookie mistake & painted our varnished floorboards with Ron Seal floor paint. As you can imagine we noticed the paint simply peeled off when we began to move furniture onto the floor!

So we have stripped all the paint off which has been a nightmare.
    Weve sanded and sanded.

Im just wondering...looking at my photos would you say we are good to go and paint again (once cleaned the dust away)?

I dont want to have to do that again!

Also we have some knot block...do we need to cover the entire surface of the floor?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Rich

2. Vierjennings

Vierjennings New Member

Sorry, photos below.

Attached Files:

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I don't think any resin is coming out of those knots now.

4. Vierjennings

Vierjennings New Member

Im a complete novice when it comes to this!

Weve sanded harder in some places to get rid of the paint we put down originally and lightly sanded the varnish as you can probably see from the photos.

Do you think its good to go or do we need to take that varnish back more?

5. Hi Vier.

Have you worked out why your Ronseal peeled offski? Is it because the previous varnish was too 'slippery'?

Did you prepare the old varnish first? Did you abrade it with sandpaper to provide a 'key', for instance?

Can you post a link to the Ronseal stuff you are planning to use?

Anyhoo, as Chips says, almost certainly these old knots are dry now, and probably won't cause any staining issues. So very likely you are good to paint over them. If you were to use knotting solution, you'd only apply it to the actual knots themselves.

What colour is your floor paint? What do the application instructions say?

You seem to have done a decent job of cleaning the boards up again :). Just make sure there are no still-shiny parts - and read the instructions.

(Post a link to the product and we should be able to advise properly. There's a pro on here called Astra, as well as a few other knowledgeable peeps.

6. Vierjennings

Vierjennings New Member

Well no, like idiots we didnt prep the floor. Absolute nightmare!

We have since obviously sanded the whole floor. In some spots the varnish remains but is dulled and scratched/keyed from the sanding.

For some reason i cant post the full link to paint but wr are using Ronseal Diamond Hard Floor Paint and the colour is slate.

7. Looks like you're good to go :D

Previously Painted: Give the floor a good sand down*, then wipe with white spirit and leave to dry before painting.
    Using Your Paint

1. Use a brush, roller or Perfect Finish Pad to put the paint on.

2. Give the paint a really good stir and test the colour on a small area to check you're happy with it before painting your entire floor.

3. Start in the corner furthest from the door. You don't want to paint yourself into a corner! If you're painting a wooden floor work in the same direction as the wood grain.

4. You'll need to put on another 1-2 coats, leaving 4-6 hours between each coat.

5. After 72 hours it'll be tough enough to stand up to just about anything.

*By this they simply mean a 'key', a good clean. Not down to bare wood - no need. Not a problem if you have gorn down to bare wood - the same prep applies; clean it, use knotting sol on exposed knots, apply...

8. Vierjennings

Vierjennings New Member

Ahh brilliant. Thank you so much for your help...really appreciate it :)

Expect more from me..just bought a house that needs doing up!

9. Coooooooooolllllll :)

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Reads so good one could think it came direct from Ronseal!:eek::D

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Don't actually know to be honest but wondering if it's worth first priming / sealing the boards first with say a Zinnster product (red tin, shellac based) always get muddled up with their products

Just as you've previously had varnish, paint, on the boards and the shellac primer will also take care of the knots at the same time

As you say you've put in a huge amount of time, effort and materials into these boards so this time you want the finish to last

Astra knows best though and will comment

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

DA has already answered the question.

13. And of course I did copy and paste - I thought it was obvious :)

Astramax likes this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Verbatim! ;)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.