painting fresh plaster

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by cosworth, Feb 21, 2007.

1. handyman.

handyman. New Member

you'll need to take this up with dulux trade, as you appear to know more than them about paint

2. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Handyman,

you said

just today i was painting wet plaster. It was skimmed to remove the artex yesterday. It was mainly all dry appart from the usual 'patches'

So this was not wet, but drying! What is your point with this? If its a definition over whats wet and whats drying out then we will be here arguing the toss for ages. Not only that if the plaster was still wet how on earth could you paint it without the brush or the roller indenting and spoiling the surface - or are there now degrees of wetness?

3. handyman.

handyman. New Member

telmay, i'm not making a point about wetness of plaster, please re read what i've posted so far. Its obvious its for day old plaster thats drying out, not a skim done 1/2 hr ago.

What i'm making a point about is some people on here just dismissing a valid paint product (and how its used)

4. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Its another one of those then! Nobody here has dismised the product, its a good one and most on here use Supermat, what has caught everybody's eye was the original post;
    painted on top of plaster that was still visibly wet
    The blokes on the box are chancing their arm as they are on a deadline for a TV show, the plaster was wet the product is designed for plaster drying out, just like your ceiling skim, not as the plasters are washing down their tools.

5. jcts

jcts Active Member

i hope you were not referring to me when you said people were dismissing a valid product. i just said that you should not paint on wet plaster. didn't say anything about the product

6. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

Or me. Supermatt is an excellent product, but I still would not paint on wet plaster. I think Telmay's points are the same as mine. However, if you want to paint plaster a few minutes after it has been applied that's up to you but i wouldn't recommend it if someone asked me

7. handyman.

handyman. New Member

the pair of you say "its not me, but i wouldnt" (near enough anyway).......and as i said, its drying plaster skim, so the next day for painting, not a few minutes after.

Thers always a 'but', with people with closed minds......these people are normally OAPs

8. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Closed minds? OAP? Are you taking the **** or just on the wind-up?

If you are then - yeah funny I snapped at the bait.

If not then you obviously dont know when YOU have got it wrong, and all because you cant read instructions. And your messages on the subject also contradict each other - one min its wet and we are missing a trick, the next its of course its a drying skim etc etc

9. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Just to wrap this up, you said;
    you can paint on wet plaster with non vinyl matt. Dulux trade do a supermatt thats for this purpose

and then you said;
    So, to sum up, yes cosworth, you are missing a trick, as is some other members

but then you said;
    wet v still drying out......

and then we get the change of mind when you said;
    Its obvious its for day old plaster thats drying out, not a skim done 1/2 hr ago.

and to top it all off there is a lot of nipping i.e. OAP's and closed minds. I think befire you start taking the **** in future you need to get your facts right ;)

10. handyman.

handyman. New Member

do they let you on the bus with paint?

11. handyman.

handyman. New Member

the only thing i didnt state at the start (which is obvious) is that you dont paint the plaster 1/2 hr later. Thats it.

Dont take it out on me, just cois your set in your ways

12. jcts

jcts Active Member

nothing wrong with being set in your ways. anyway i use supermatt all the time

13. handyman.

handyman. New Member

the point isnt that you use supermatt, do (or would) you paint patchy, still drying plaster

14. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

nothing wrong with being set in your ways. anyway i
    use supermatt all the time

Ahhh but....when yer "set in yer ways" ..yer closed minded to any new products, or time saving gear.

15. handyman.

handyman. New Member

i have a fancy new product called a 'car'. Its great, but i dont use it on motorways, as i feel its not safe to do so.

I've just made my 'narrow' mind up on this issue, so will not change it.

16. Telmay

Telmay New Member

your an idiot! - just admit it you got it wrong or you just cant reason

17. handyman.

handyman. New Member

right, i have already said that i got the wording wrong, i should have said still drying, not wet.

What you cant accept is this paint can be painted on still drying paint.

So to make it perfectly clear i will now say it for the 3rd time.....i got my wording wrong, it was to be painted on still drying plaster, not wet plaster. This i believed would be obvious to even a oap, but i accept i got this wording wrong

18. handyman.

handyman. New Member

should read...

What you cant accept is this paint can be painted on still drying plaster

19. handyman.

handyman. New Member

just admit it you got it wrong or
    you just cant reason

so, before you posted this, i'd already said about the wording, which has now been said twice again.

What is it i have got wrong then? I would say its painting on still drying plaster with supermatt........

20. Telmay

Telmay New Member

The big point that you have said that the product has been dismissed - well it hasnt at all, and whats all this sh1te about being an OAP?