Painting internal brick, block garage walls

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Muzungu, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Neighbour has asked me what paint she should use to paint the internal walls of her detached garage. She just wants it brightened up and is not looking for a "perfect" finish; white.

Well built single garage with zero damp, single skinned brick on two walls with rear wall block work backing onto next door's garage.

I was thinking just a cheap vinyl matt, perhaps with a first coat diluted slightly as it will be sucked in, and then a couple of coats on top depending on coverage. As I say, she just wants it brightened up. Masonry paint is perhaps over the top as it's internal?

Thanks.

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

For the cost, I would go with masonry paint - Sandtex £30 for 10lt, that’s not so bad is it ?

Will give a tough, bright white finish, brush it down or wipe down if need be over time

As you say, thin first coat to soak into blocks and seal, follow with 2 full coats, job done

Muzungu likes this.
  3. That’s what I did, watered down first coat then 2 or 3 coats over that I think, some of mine was thermalite so really needed the watered down coat. Just used normal dulux Matt paint. Took quite a while and was a pain with the blocks having lots of tiny holes, had to sort of dab it in them. Gave a good finish tho in the end. I’ve moved now but it was still good four years later.

Muzungu likes this.
  4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Do it properly following guide for chosen paint. Why is everyone hung up on thinned down cheap emulsion all the time as a first coat. Gee. Paint resins have moved on and correct application is important

Use masonry paint following application guide online or on the tin

5. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I was just conscious that she is on a really tight budget (really tight!), although it is probably what I would do. I'll look at the difference in costs and see what she says. I'll also let her know that if she goes for a cheaper option it will very possibly need 2 or 3 coats after the initial.

I help her out with all sorts of simple things from topping up her central heating, changing fuses in her consumer unit, swapping out tap valves etc. so like to save her money if possible. It makes me wonder how much people spend on getting pros in if they don't have anyone around to help for these simple jobs. My times my own these days so no problem for me.