Painting kitchen cabinets

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Areid, May 20, 2021.

?

Spray or hand paint

1. Spray

66.7%
  2. Hand paint

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Areid

Areid New Member

I have recently moved house and plan to overhaul the kitchen. It is a bespoke made kitchen that is a slightly rough around the edges due to its age.
    I plan to replace the damaged doors, hardware and some other items then repaint the entire kitchen.
    I have a RAL colour code for a paint I would like to use and am currently in two kinds between spraying or hand painting it.
    If I were to spray the cabinets, can anyone recommend an airless sprayer that would provide a good finish along with a suitable paint provider.
    The paint must be hard wearing, capable of being sprayed airlessly and also able to be matched to a sample/RAL code.
    Hopefully someone can provide some assistance with this.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I’ve repainted one kitchen and it came out pretty good. I used a roller and layed off with a brush. I think I used an acrylic eggshell but was a good few years back, so can’t quite remember. There are many excellent paints now for such things so why not try doing a test door and see how you get on. As with all painting, the correct prep will make the job.

Astramax likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have a look at using V33 melamine paint, easy to use and a superb smooth spray like finish.

4. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Repainted my kitchen cupboards and drawers with combo of bullseye 123 undercoat and F&B eggshell. Used a roller and brush, looks great.

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I once tried spray painting the doors of my kitchen units, and was shocked to see how much paint I went through. I'm sure if I had rolled it on or hand painted it, I would have used a lot less than half of what I did use ... and no, there wasn't paint everywhere else!

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

pros and cons to both I suppose. If the doors are already a bit textured/grainy then brush and roller is as good as any IMO.

7. gorygwayne

gorygwayne New Member

My recommendation is to choose spray painting if your intention is to change the color of your kitchen cabinets.

8. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Google Graco airless sprayer. They seem to be the go to sprayer for this sort of work. Not cheap for a single job though.

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Old thread