painting mdf wardrobe

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by camo, Feb 6, 2004.

1. camo

camo Member

I have a large pine effect MDF wardrobe and wish to paint cream to match walls.

I was going to apply one coat of MDF primer, then undercoat & finish with a matt topcoat.

Interested to know opionions if this is a good approach to get a top quality finish?

cheers.

2. kesh

kesh New Member

If it's pine effect then I assume it's coated - MDF primer is meant for bare MDF, so let's start with how it's finished at present & start from there -

If it's a laminate finish you need a special primer.

3. camo

camo Member

kesh,

I would say that it's laminated as it appears to have a base material plus a pine effect overlaid on top - a bit like laminate flooring.

Hopefully that helps.

cheers.

4. kesh

kesh New Member

OK, International paints make a special primer for difficult sufaces, there are others - check out a paint shop or DIY store. - If you want a matt finish to match the walls use the same emulsion - not very hard wearing though.
    A better solution would be to use eggshell on the wardrobe mixed to the same colour as walls - most places with a paint mixing machine can mix emulsion/eggshell to the same colour. Or if it's a "BS" colour, buy off the shelf.