Painting New Skimmed Walls

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DrainCock, Apr 28, 2007.

1. DrainCock

DrainCock New Member

Dear All,

Just have had the walls skimmed. I always use Dulux paint!

Do I need to prime the walls with something or another?

Many thanks

2. deadonmate

deadonmate New Member

Before others say this has been answered umptine times do a search?

1. Leave walls until surface is dry, no wet pathces.Then

2. Mist Coat, i.e 1 coat of watered down SuperMatt emulsion. Then

3. 2x coats of Dulux Trade SuperMatt Emulsion

This is specially formulated for new plastered walls

Good Luck

3. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

Always tend to use Dulux myself - However, have used this to good effect before now.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=102628&ts=93715&id=59723

Designed to be applied straight onto new plaster although it's still worth adding a splash of water to cope with the suction off the plaster when applying it.

Finish with a couple of coats of your final colour and job done...

4. Telmay

Telmay New Member

The fact that you have just had the walls skimmed, means that it will be dry in a few days.

Supamatt by Dulux is OK, but you might find it costly or the finish not that good compared to normal matts. Also the Leyland prodcut is also good - good advice from the other guys. I tend to use Albany (Brewers) white supacover on fresh plaster and it alsways gives a good finish about £15 for 10L

If however you want yet more choice, due to skim and not a decent 2 coat plaster job, you can mist coat the walls with a non-vinyl emulsion watered down, and then top coat with what you want, be that soft sheen, Vinyl matt, silk (devils work) etc etc.

5. DrainCock

DrainCock New Member

Thanks for the reply guys.

I was just about to buy the above mentioned items when my wifes 3 uncles apparently said that they have all re-done the homes and they put Unibond PVA on the walls first (watered down to 1 in 5) and then painted on top after it dryed!

Does this actually work? Their homes looked good? Is this an option? Has anyone ever tried this!

Reason I ask, is that he is insisted to come around and do it for me. Trying my best to get out of it.....

6. handyman.

handyman. New Member

there is no paint manufacturer that says you pva walls first. It causes so much trouble, mainly peeling of paint from walls.

There are many places that say to pva, but i would go with the paint manufacturers myself.

All say to mist coat the walls

7. handyman.

handyman. New Member

you want the paint to key into the wall. If you pva you create a barrier to adhesion. even worse, pva is designed for plastering, and its designed to re activate to a liquid form when wet.

Not exactly what you want when applying paint

8. DrainCock

DrainCock New Member

Thanks Guys. Thats exactly what I was thinking.

Just to confirm, all I need to do is apply a mist coat (which means watered down SuperMatt emulsion) and then just paint as per normal. Obviously two coats! Is this correct?

Many thanks in advance.....

9. handyman.

handyman. New Member

yes, one mist coat, then as many coats as it takes to get a solid colour.......could be 3 coats (including the mist coat)

10. handyman.

handyman. New Member

my tip is always, read the instructions on the paint tin.

11. DrainCock

DrainCock New Member

Thanks Handyman.

I know this is a stupid question! But the SuperMatt Emulsion is white I take it? And then the preferred colour on top? Or do you get the SuperMatt made into the colour you are painting the walls?

Thanks once again!

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You don't have to use supermatt for the mistcoat. You can use the same paint as your top coat, but thinned.

It is always better(in my opinion) to mist coat in white, it helps to produce the colour of your topcoat as it was intended.

ie. one coat of white and 2 coats of blue will show the blue as it was meant to be.

If your wall is dark to start with, 3 coats of blue might come out darker than it was intended.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

13. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Spot on handy, have always done similar.

14. Telmay

Telmay New Member

You can use the same paint as your top coat, but thinned. - steady HandyAndy this could be dangerous advice, what if the top coat is silk, eggshell or even just a vinyl base?

A mist coat should always be a non-vinyl emulsion, just a cheap contract matt will do.

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You can use the same paint as your top coat, but
    thinned.
    - steady HandyAndy this could be
    dangerous advice, what if the top coat is silk,
    eggshell or even just a vinyl base?

A mist coat should always be a non-vinyl emulsion,
    just a cheap contract matt will do.

Yeah, I guess I was generalising a bit. I know what I mean though :):):)

Mr. HandyAndy - really

16. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Info from Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt:

Ideal for use on woodchip, blown vinyl wallcoverings etc, as well as dry plaster and a range of building boards.

To get the best results from Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt, make sure the surfaces to be painted are sound, clean and dry.

Seal new or bare surfaces with a thinned first coat of Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt. (Up to 1 part clean water to 5 parts paint.) The normal finish process is 2 full coats of Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt on previously painted surfaces in good condition. Where similar colours are used 1 coat may be sufficient

17. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Seal new or bare surfaces with a thinned first coat of Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt. (Up to 1 part clean water to 5 parts paint.)

Think I will still stick to MIST coats with Non-Vinyl, after years of this practise I have never had any adhesion problems, but have seen many where Vinyl has been applied straight to surface without any priming.

18. handyman.

handyman. New Member

non vinyl for me on mist coats.

19. "just a cheap contract matt will do."

Absolutely, I use Glidden Contract Matt all the time as a base coat, dries quickly, primes filled areas, highlights imperfections etc.

20. Gladys

Gladys Member

Hi I have asked this question to my plasterers and they said just use any watered down emulsion so I used watered down vinyl matt emulsion, I have got away with it on a couple of rooms but I have two ceilings that I havent top coated yet. I cant do anythnig about it now they were mist coated about 3 months ago would it be wise to lightly sand and go over with a watered down non vinyl matt, The top caot. Please help .