Painting Nightmares!!

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Rach1981, Nov 6, 2018 at 11:45 AM.

1. Rach1981

Rach1981 New Member

Help!!!

Here is my story sorry its so long but I am really hoping for a happy ending

I had my living room plastered a few months ago and left it to dry for quite a while just to be sure. I put on a mist coat and then a few days later started to paint the lilac colour silk paint I had in my understairs cupboard.

I have had the paint for almost 10 years now (I had planned to do it when I bought it but had two babies and had just moved in and never got round to it!) Anyway enough excuses so when I opened it the paint hadn't gone hard and I didnt want to waste it so I started using it. The consistency was a bit like lumps of jelly but they smoothed out with the roller (eventually)

I went all round the room and did 2 coats of paint. When it dried there were weird patches on the wall when the light shone in through the window like roller marks and rough patches so I painted over these again but it just made them look worse!

I ran out of the lilac paint so yesterday I went to B&Q to get more paint and because I bought it so long ago I had some made up using their colour match service. I painted two walls with this paint last night and this morning it looks awful even more patchy and really really shiny!! I wish I had left it alone!! I was planning to go and get more lilac paint made up after work today and paint the walls again but is this going to make it even worse?!

If anyone has any ideas where I have gone wrong I would be very grateful for your advice. I suspect using the old paint was a bad idea also I didn't stir it very well when it was all jelly like but some areas of the room do look fine. I may have over rollered too to try and make the paint last!

I have no pictures of the wall but can take some when I get home

I have been reading through a couple of different threads on here and couldn't find anyone that had asked the same kind of question as me but really sorry if they already have! Everyone seems so lovely and helpful on here so I am really hoping you can help me

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Firstly let me say, we all like ‘happy endings’ ......:rolleyes:

But, back to your painting issues, always hard to diagnose over a forum but, a few thoughts;

What made you choose silk paint ?
    Yep personal choice but it’s weird stuff and can end up looking like hospital walls

Yes it’s washable and it’s cheap ..... apart from that....... well, there ain’t anything really to say

Oh yes, you said new paint has dried shiny, assume this is also silk ? Silk is shiny innit

10 year old paint may be ok, although depends how it’s been stored. No paint likes extremes of temp and if kept in a garage/shed, would have experienced plenty of temp fluctuations

As a bare minimum, paint would have required a bluddy good stir, a drop of water and passing through a sieve

There must have been loads of stringy bits in paint like melted mozzarella :) I bet

Patchy areas after painting can be several things;

Poor roller technique

Over polished plaster - left with a glass like finish so paint sits on top

Plasterer splashing pva over finished plaster surface

Bare plaster becoming contaminated with oil from hands and household polish / cleaning fluids

Also, what paint did you use for the mist coat ?

Hopefully standard Matt emuslion, not vinyl or silk, watered down with clean water ?

Roller marks and rough patches are going to need fixing as any further paint applied will just show up same marks

Silk isn’t great to sand down, it just peels off wall. I think that worse lumpy areas are going to need scraping flat, filling, sanding, get wall as flat and smooth as possible

Then prime walls with Zinnser Cover Stain, applied with short pile roller. Follow instructions on tin, maybe 2 coats

This will seal in any pva/oily residues and give a good surface to paint over

Consider not using silk perhaps, plenty of good washable paints out there that don’t look or behave like silk paint

I’m only diy but have done loads of decorating over the years, sometimes yep I get problems as well. Couple weeks ago in fact with Easi Fill filler swelling up after painting

Now sorted by priming with Cover Stain

Anyway, have a read through and get back with some answers !

I’m sure more advice from others will follow - good luck

Rach1981 and Allsorts like this.
  3. LEH

LEH Member

I think I would probably wash it down with sugar soap solution, once dry sand the hell out of it (you might want to hire a drywall sander to make this considerably less knackering), prime with Zinsser Bullseye 123 (cover stain is great, but I can only imagine the stink of slapping that on such a large area, stick to water-based for the sake of your health!), followed by two coats of a durable matt paint. Make sure you stir the paint well before using :) Watch a few videos on youtube about proper cutting in and rolling technique, and get yourself a decent roller sleeve (e.g. Hamilton Perfection medium pile).

Rach1981 and KIAB like this.
  4. Allsorts

Allsorts Well-Known Member

Rach...Rach...Rach...

Silk? On walls?

Good lawd.

If it's actually rough where it's patchy, then lightly sand it. Then Bullseye. Then matt, for heaven's sakes...

Rach1981 likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

10 year old paint.:eek::(

Rach1981 likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Few costly mistakes, 10 year old paint, silk, didn't stir at all well or thin, paint was well on the way to coagulating .......basically paint was way beyond being fit for use! Save yourself a lot of hassle and line the walls.

gpierce, Rach1981 and Jord86 like this.
  7. Rach1981

Rach1981 New Member

Dear DIYDave,

Thank you for your speedy and detailed reponse.

Okay in my defence I chose silk paint because my friends dad told me to always buy it!! When I painted the kids rooms ten years ago he made me take all the matt paint back and swap it for silk. I assumed this was right!! Aren't men always right?!

Lol yes silk is rather shiny isn't it

I didn't give the paint a bluddy good stir (I assume this is a painting term!) I hardly stirred it at all....never thought of a sieve either...

Yep it was just like mozzarella my daughters job was to spot the lumps on the wall!!! It was like a Domino's special (other pizza brands are available!)

I do think my roller technique is pretty poor but only on big spaces because the walls under the window and walls either side of the window look fine its the big walls that I struggled with because basically I panicked I was doing it wrong and over rollered!

The plasterer may have put PVA on the wall I didn't think anything of it at the time but there was little glue like drips on the plaster after he left which I scraped off.

For the mist coat I used a Matt emulsion watered down with very clean welsh water from my tap was this right have I redeemed myself slightly?? However the lady in B&Q told me today I should have painted several mist coats and then used a primer and then washed the wall before painting and basically should start all over again is this correct? She made me feel quite inadequate!!

Thanks for the advice about the scraping off and cover stain I shall definitely consider doing this

It is comforting that with all your experience you sometimes have problems - there's hope for me yet (maybe)

Rach

8. Rach1981

Rach1981 New Member

Hi LEH,

Thank you for your advice the thought of sanding all my hard work off is quite demoralising and fills me with dread but it does sound like the right thing to do I will definitely consider it. I have watched some you tube videos on rolling and cutting in they were really useful thank you for the tip. I used a Harris Powercoat roller I thought it was a good one but maybe not!

Thanks for taking the time to help me out

Rach

9. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

Your mist coat was correct, every bit of advice you have received until now was incorrect.
    Other than the advice on here obviously :)

Rach1981 likes this.
  10. Rach1981

Rach1981 New Member

Allsorts,

Sorry for the silk I have clearly committed a painting sin and for that I apologise wholeheartedly. I thought you couldn't paint matt onto silk because it makes flaky paint or did I make this up? When you say 'Bullseye' do you mean the popular darts gameshow or an actual product called Bullseye??

I have just had an idea whilst typing this reply I could get lots of massive canvasses with pictures of tins of silk paint on them and cover up all my **** painting that way plus these images would also serve as a constant reminder of my painting inadequacies and appaling choice of paint finish

Seriously though thanks for the advice I shall consider it

Rach

11. Rach1981

Rach1981 New Member

KIAB,

Lol I thought it was like a fine wine you had to let it mature

DIY womble and Allsorts like this.
  12. Rach1981

Rach1981 New Member

Hi Astramax,

Thanks for your reply

Only a 'few' mistakes?! I think you are being kind! Its all been a bit of a disaster really!

I am toying with the idea of just moving house!

Thanks again

Rach

13. Rach1981

Rach1981 New Member

Yay chippie244 I actually did something right well in your face paint 'expert' lady from B&Q I walked out of that shop with my tail between my legs and spent all the way home on the bus thinking I was a failure. Which I still may be if this room isn't sorted out!

Perhaps if I grew a nice beard like yours do you think this would make me a better painter and more immune to bad advice??

Obviously the advice on here is correct

DIY womble and KIAB like this.
  14. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

I'm a bad painter and that's not a beard it's a bu11sh1t detector :)
    I know the right things to do but I'm really bad at doing them other than being a chippie.

DIY womble and Rach1981 like this.
  15. Allsorts

Rach, painter lady at B&Q was over the top.

If your paint is actually nicely adhered to the wall, you are fine. The matt mist coat was correct - yup, fully redeemed :)

You are also right in that applying matt over silk can be problematic as silk has the huge benefit of being pretty waterproof and mark-resistant, but that also makes it less than perfect as a painting surface.

If the plaster had PVA on parts of it, then that too could have added to your woes - it can 'reactivate' with the water in emulsion paint and become sticky, and this can leave patches of texture in the finished paint. Chances are, tho', that it's simply a case of lumpy paint being over-rollered in places.

If there are no signs of bubbling or paint lifting off, do NOT entertain trying to scrape it back to bare walls - there is simply no more traumatic job a person can undertake. Simply make sure the paint is bone dry and lightly 'key' the surface with a flat sanding block and - ooh - 180 grit paper. If there are patches of genuine texture in the paint, then go over these a little more to get it flat and even like the rest of the wall.

You could quite possibly go straight on with matt emulsion over this, but to be on the safe side I think a sealer is advisable. Zinsser BIN (not sure what the pros/cons are compared with Bulls Eye 123) primer/sealer is well regarded on this forum - a single coat of that will sort the surface.

Then your choice or matt emulsion :)

Rach1981 likes this.
  16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Silk paint is a weird beast and it doesn’t sand down like regular matt emuslion, if anything, it tears and peels off the wall

I’ve painted over silk before with matt emuslion and it caused the silk to blister in huge areas

Some of these blisters disappeared as the emuslion dried but many didn’t

I think, and it’s only me thinking, that as the silk is pretty water proof and impervious, when you lash over the new, regular emulsion, it just sits on the surface of the silk and takes ages to dry

The water in the emuslion may then cause the silk to blister in several places

Yes the Zinnser cover Stain is solvent based and does pong a bit but I would rather use that than the water based Bullseye 123

Simply open windows and ventilate the room. If a bedroom, don’t sleep in there the same night, next day all will be fine

Recently painted 2 walls in sons bedroom and used Cover Stain to seal walls as loads of blobs of blu tack had been removed. Blu Tack leaves a residue that can bleed through emulsion coats. As above, ventilate and vacate room for the day, all ok next day and ready to emulsion

I think that the problems with paint finish are down to several issues, as discussed above

Way forward -

As silk doesn’t like to be sanded, scrape off lumps and fill any dents with quality,powdered filler, Toupret is very good, sand down super flat and smooth

Either prime wall with Cover Stain or consider lining paper, say 1400 grade

As for emulsion, Dulux Endurance or Diamond (depending if you buy retail or trade) (Trade still being available to public) are both excellent in terms of application and cleanabilty. I think Dulux has changed the name of this paint again recently though, but you will find it with a quick search

I’ve recently used Crown Clean Extreme which is also very good

Both above paints are way more expensive than silk but so much nicer

Good luck and trust replies on here more than from local BQ :eek:

Rach1981 and Allsorts like this.
  17. Astramax

If you go the lining paper route as suggested in post #6 it is best take the sheen off the silk paint with 120 grit and apply a coat all over of Zinsser Bullseye 123 as this certainly will improve the adhesion qualities for the lining paper, 1200 grade would be more than sufficient bearing in mind that the walls have recently been re-plastered.

Rach1981 likes this.
  18. Allsorts

Surely lining paper is OTT?

Look, a light sanding (if needed - if there's obvious texture in the current finish), a BIN and matt emulsion.

Jeepers... :rolleyes:

19. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Should have used masonry paint , then you'd have none of this trouble. Masonry paint is a modern day panacea for all ills in the building trade. Got a problem with your gate post? Give it a coat of masonry paint. Roof leaking? Masonry paint,, Bannister looking shabby? Masonry paint.. It's the modern cure all for everything..... Marriage on the rocks?? Get yersen out and buy a 5 litre can of masonry paint.. Guaranteed to solve all problems. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Allsorts likes this.
  20. Astramax

We can only offer advice on what we are told, we can't see what f&^* up he's made.
    Jeepers...o_O
    Oh! and leave out the BIN it ain't Valspar or necessary.:rolleyes:.......:D:p