Painting Novice!

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Sarah Bourne, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Sarah Bourne

Sarah Bourne New Member

I’m really hoping someone can help me… The previous owners of our house painted a room a dubious Barbie’s Womb Pink which I’d very much like to paint over.

They also adorned the walls with various wall stickers and when peeling them off, the paint came too. I bought a paint stripper metal tool thing and started to strip back the paint where it’s loose, with the intention of then sanding the edges and using a ‘problem wall’ paint. The trouble is the stripping is just not ending and I’ve ended up with vast expanses of what seems to be naked wall.

My question is, do I stop stripping? Do I need to reskim? Can I just use the problem paint over it? Should I get a professional in? What I thought would be a laborious but straightforward job has just got even harder!

Thank you!

Michael worock likes this.
  2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Get the paint off back to good. You can use duck tape and stick on and pull to remove stubborn bits.

See what surface is like then decide how to proceed.

Sarah Bourne likes this.
  3. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

Hello Sarah,

Not being cynical in any way - but I've yet to see a trick paint miraculously transform a wall which is in the condition you describe. The biggest bang for your buck and the best-looking result (unless the wall's truly horrific) is to line it with lining paper. This is basically very thick, off-white-coloured wallpaper which is used to conceal a multitude of sins on a wall, plus provide a clean, virgin surface to paint on. Think of lining paper as being like very thin cardboard, and you'll get the idea. If you also then decorate using a dead flat matt paint, it's extraordinary how much better it will look and how much concealing power this combo has. The paper's put on using regular wallpaper paste such as Solvite. So if you don't know how to wallpaper - now is the perfect time to learn.

Prep the wall as best you can - fill holes and cracks, and give the wall a thorough sanding-down before you start. If you're applying lining paper to a bare plaster wall, it's important that you 'size' the wall first. This involves applying a first coat of thinned wallpaper paste (see 'size' mixing instructions on a Solvite packet) directly onto the wall with a paint roller and letting it dry. Use a paintbrush to paste your edges. Once this is done, you can paste the paper as normal and put it on. The reason for the initial 'sizing' is to stop the porosity of the wall immediately sucking all the water out of your paste - this will result in either a very poor bond, or no bond at all. Think of it as a type of primer or sealer.

Apart from the great result you can often achieve with this - it's also dirt cheap. Less than a fiver buys you a great big 20-metre-long roll from our hosts;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erfurt-red-label-double-lining-paper-natural-560mm-x-20m/48424

The Screwfix reviews say it all. Hope you get fixed up.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    Sarah Bourne and WillyEckerslike like this.
  4. Sarah Bourne

Sarah Bourne New Member

Thanks so much for this info, extremely helpful! I’ve never attempted wallpapering but as you say, good time to learn. Thanks again, so grateful!

woodbutcherbower likes this.
  5. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

Strip it off. Do it once and do it right.

Martyn21uk likes this.