painting on glue size

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Rosiedog, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Rosiedog

Rosiedog New Member

Hi

I have recently glue sized a wall in prepaeration for wallpaper however i now want to paint the wall is this ok to do?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Two choices, wash the wall thouroughly with a sugar soap solution to remove size otherwise the paint will probably craze on drying then it will be ok to paint, or line the wall with a good quality 1200 grade lining paper and when dry paint over.

3. apl

apl Member

You could also give the wall a coat of zinsser gardz before you paint. This is a more expensive option than the good advice from Astra.

4. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

Hi Rosiedog,

Personally I would go with Astra's second recommendation; to line and paint.  It would be very arduous work attempting to dissolve and scrub off the size.  Painting over old plaster which has been previously papered tends to leave behind damaged surfaces, to a greater or lesser extent, depending on the skill of the person who stripped the walls.  On the assumption that you prepared these surfaces properly, you already have walls which are ready for lining, so why make the job any harder for yourself and a good quality lining paper will give you a superior surface for your paintwork. 

5. StinkNugget

StinkNugget Member

Late to the party but hey ho!  The others are bang on as ever :)

6. apl

apl Member

Four responses, question answered ...... no problem rosiedog....don't mention it.......anytime......

7. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

Yes I agree, Apl, it's the not knowing wether you have wasted your time in replying to some posters that's a tad frustrating.  Very few seem to acknowledge the replies given, it has me wondering if such posters actually return to view the responses to the help they have sought or maybe they are just quite simply impolite.

Regards

Goodwill

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

All our knowledge and advice given freely away, no wonder the forum is no longer what it used to be! :eek:

9. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

I reckon you may have hit the nail right on the head there Astra: 'FREE'.   Many people have a tendency not to value what they have obtained without a cost to themselves of some kind.  I liken it to the attitude that some customers display when they ask: "While you're here would you just give this item a lick of paint?" (non-payers seem to like this term).  When you provide them with the cost of preparing and painting the item they generally tend to reconsider its worth.  The value changes when it has a price attached.

Regards

Goodwill

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Spot on Goodwill, so very true.

11. StinkNugget

StinkNugget Member

Ahh the old "just give it a quick lick of paint" chestnut.  I'm generally pretty good to the punter & will often do a few extras to look after them.  I had one bloke, really nice fella absolutely minted but he started to take the mickey a bit so I made a point of going into his shop to buy a newspaper, paid for it then said, "oh whilst I'm here I'll have this pint of milk, oh and this loaf of bread, and this pack of stuff" etc & went to walk out with it without paying for the extra bits.  He soon got the message ;)  Asked me back plenty of times since then for more work as well :)

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

So Rosiedog what did you do and how did it turn out? :)

13. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Rosiedog , after a long and arduous decision, trying to decide between Zinsser gardz, lining with 1200 and scrubbing with sugar soap, eventually decided to apply  a coat of PVA , tinted slightly, to give a lovely "eggnog" colour.
    It's accepted in the wider society y'know.

Turned out nice again . :)

14. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

Sounds like the Rosiedog's testes.