painting open louvre doors

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by woodburner, Apr 15, 2010.

1. woodburner

woodburner New Member

Hello,

I have half a dozen open louvre wardrobe doors to paint. What would be the best method? Would it be worth investing in a sprayer?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Wb

2. PURDY CAT

PURDY CAT New Member

sprayers are expensive and unless you know how to use one then the paint finish you will end up with will be dissapointing. If I was you, I would prep the doors up as normal and then prime the doors if there are new bare wood using dulux trade water based wood primer undercoat and then depending on what finish you desire either two coats of dulux w/b stainwood or w/b u/c and gloss. The water based products will give you a longer open time with the paint and that will help you painting louvre doors. Use a synthetic brush as you will get a far better paint finish. If you don't fancy that then take the doors to a sprayer and they will do it for you !!

3. decortyke

decortyke New Member

Purdy cat,

Not having a go mate but youre mistaken in advising to use water based paint because it has a "longer open time"

The whole idea of waterbased coatings is that it dries more quickly than conventional oil based paint so you can get more coats on in the day. Also it stays whiter for longer.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sorry Purdy Cat, I'm with decortyke on this one, you are mistaken.

5. potty painter

potty painter New Member

I also agree with both decortyke and Astra, that advice was somewhat foolhardy and could cause the op unwanted problems with regard to his task in hand.

Potty.

6. Puma.

Puma. New Member

Stay clear of sprayer. Roll, deep pile, then smooth off with a brush fastest method.

7. woodburner

woodburner New Member

Many thanks for the responses. I will try the roller method with water-based paint.

Wb

8. PURDY CAT

PURDY CAT New Member

Yep you are right and I admit after reading what I said it comes across wrong. I agree oil based paint has a longer open time but I think water based paint would still be the best type of paint to use because the drying paint film would not stick so much when painting the Louvre doors as oil based would. Do you agree with me or would you use oil based. Not being argumentive just asking for interest