Painting over dark varnished staircase advice

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by RyanC88, Jan 14, 2019.

1. RyanC88

RyanC88 New Member

Hi all

I have a dark staircase (varnish i beleive) in the new house and i want to paint it white satinwood.

I have done some reading online and for the staircase i understand I will need to use something like Zinsser BIN 123 and then apply a satinwood. I have read good things about Johnstons Aqua Satin, would this go over the Zinsser ok?

I also need to paint the skirting and door frames that have been painted in gloss and have started to turn yellow. Could i use the same technique for these?

Many thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

If you are sure it is varnish Zinsser BIN is the product not Zinsser Bulseye 123, if you use the Johnstones Aqua Satin you would be best advised to also use the Aqua undercoat over the BIN. With the skirting and door frames it will be fine to use the Johnstones Aqua undercoat and Satin after a thorough abrading of the surfaces with 120-180 grit followed by a good wash down with a hot sugar soap solution to remove all dirt and grime from the surface, handrails on stairs get dirty with muck from hands so wash the stair parts as well.

The BIN dries in under an hour but takes a few days to fully cure so don't panic that you can scratch it off initially.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  3. RyanC88

RyanC88 New Member

thank you for the reply @Astramax - I think its varnish, if it isnt i use the bullseye?

4. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Stick with the BIN, flatten it off when dry with one of those wet & dry sponge sanding blocks or wet and dry paper.