Painting over old bitumen?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by f_e_w, Jun 24, 2019.

1. f_e_w

f_e_w New Member

The previous owner of my house, in all his wisdom, painted the outside walls with bitumen, and then with regular exterior paint. 20 years or so later, it has, needless to say, cracked beyond belief and looks like an abandoned shack rather than a lived in home.

We're going to pressure-wash all the old paint off obviously, but what can I paint it with that will stick? In the bit of research I've done already, I've come across Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 Primer - will this work? Or do I need to do something else?

This is the what the wall looks like:
    wall.jpg

2. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

sand blast it

3. f_e_w

f_e_w New Member

Sandblasting is out of our price range, unfortunately.

4. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

ok petrol will remove it with wire brush lots of hard work very very dangerous would not do it
    hire a sandblaster diy
    lidl do a hand grit blaster keep using the blast till its spent best I can think of good Luk
    do not use the petrol

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

During the 1970's Sandtex had a product on the market what was a bitumen paint that stopped exterior damp penetration it was designed to be painted over with Sandtex Masonry paint, this product wasn't around for long, I am thinking that is what you may have on your walls. Give Sandtex Technical Dept a phone call and see if they can offer any advice for its removal or sealing.;)

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Coverstain or aluminium primer can be used over to prime.. Need to take advice from technical help line though