Painting over old separated paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by PaulWhite, Jul 15, 2010.

1. PaulWhite

PaulWhite New Member

Hi everyone,

I decided to repaint an area of wall recently because it had quite a few marks on and stains from bleeding the radiator.
    I found the paint in the garage and started but realised I'd have to do the whole wall so it didn't look funny.
    Unfortunately, part way though I realised I was making it worse - despite mixing it well the paint had separated (couldn't tell in the tin) and now the wall has a brownish tinge!

Note to self: do not use 9 year old paint!

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do next? The wall colour is quite pale so I'm not sure if the brown will show through/seep through.

Should I just do lots of coats or try to remove the brown-tinged paint first?

Thanks!

2. jcts

jcts Active Member

Rub down the stained patches first and then block out with an oil-based undercoat. Then spot the patches with your new paint and then proceed to give the whole wall 2 coats of your new emulsion

3. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Paul.

The paint of which you say has separated, is, and will remain to be an unstable surface with regard to further coats of paint.

Therefore you would be well advised to remove it before a repaint is considered.

Potty.

4. PaulWhite

PaulWhite New Member

Thanks potty and jtcs.
    I thought that might be the case. Thanks for the warning, it would have sucked to repaint and have the stains still showing. Off I go to do it properly!

5. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Paul.

I think you have made a wise choice there, the oil based u/c would indeed seal the surface.

Yet you have to bear in mind that the paint you used was nine years old and well past its best, it also sounds like this paint has been exposed to frost. So pretty unstable I would of thought.

Potty.

6. PaulWhite

PaulWhite New Member

Thanks Potty, have successfully done the walls properly now (have new problems with some hidden damp or something but that's a whole other ball game!) and it's looking good.

Yup, think you're definitely right about the frost - the paint lives in an outhouse and last winter was particularly bad. I should probably check the other cans.
    Do you have any suggestions about where best to store them/how to insulate them from frost?

Thanks

7. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Paul.

Firstly mate dont store your paint for long periods of time, place some cling film over the tin before replacing the lid, that can help.

With regard to frost protection, if you have the space in the outhouse look at a suitably sized insulated wooden box. [With A Lid]!! keep the box off the floor and the lid closed.

Difficult to say really not knowing the space available to you.

Potty.