Painting over painted wallpaper

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by stealthwolf, Jun 19, 2018.

1. stealthwolf

stealthwolf New Member

The previous owners appear to have lined two of the bedrooms with lining paper (or maybe paintable wallpaper), and painted one of the walls in each room in navy blue and the remainder in white.

In the smallest room, the plan was to repaint the whole room white to freshen it up, paint over scuffs and marks, and get rid of the dark "feature wall". It's a small room and the dark blue makes it look dark and dim.

What's the best way to proceed?

I don't want to take off the paper - just want to paint over it. I was planning on using Dulux supermatt to just paint over everything but read somewhere it doesn't adhere well to vinyl silk. I've no idea what the paint finish is.

Any advice would be welcome.

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Water based acrylic undercoat tinted or white over silk. So wash walls and use undercoat then paint with whatever emulsion

Astramax and stealthwolf like this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Probably the most economical way to tackle this situation. Far cheaper than using Zinsser Bullseye 123.

stealthwolf likes this.
  4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yeah. You don't need bull 123. Any acrylic primer undercoat will do job just make sure everything is clean when using water based paints on any surface. I use Viro-sol as 5lt lasts me a year for general cleaning or at work washing down

stealthwolf likes this.
  5. stealthwolf

stealthwolf New Member

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sure is..acrylic-primer undercoat!

stealthwolf likes this.
  7. stealthwolf

stealthwolf New Member

The only reason I asked was because it mentions timber and masonary as applications, and one of the reviews states it's not water-based.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It's acrylic....................water-based is acrylic, also known a quick dry.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    stealthwolf likes this.
  9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yeah. That's the one. Recently used it on a silk kitchen ceiling prior to the matt white paint. You can use on plaster as a primer to. I also use the no nonsense acrylic primer although it needs a good stir as solids fall to bottom. Spec is basic with little product info but it dose the job fine

stealthwolf likes this.
  10. stealthwolf

stealthwolf New Member

Okay stupid questions coming up.

I gave this a go today. Used wooster silvertip angle cut brush for cutting in, then wooster pro dooz 9" roller for the main walls. There's a bit stippling effect most noticeable on the dark wall. The other walls were white so quite easy.

Should I have keyed the acrylic painted wallpaper first? I cleaned it using sugar soap and left to dry overnight.

Is the wooster roller suitable for the paint or should I have used a different sleeve?

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The stipple was probably caused by the roller and the paint drying rapidly on this very hot and humid day. Light sand over to remove the stipple and re prime that wall.

stealthwolf likes this.
  12. stealthwolf

stealthwolf New Member

I ended up laying out the paint and going over with a second coat and repeated the layout out. Much better. I think some of it was down to technique. This was the first time I'd ever held a roller. By the time I got round to doing the second coat, my technique was better, coverage was better and there was much less stippling.

The blue wall still needed a third coat the completely eradicate the colour but I ran out of paint.

Astramax likes this.