Painting over previously painted furniture....

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by portlanders, Aug 1, 2018.

1. portlanders

portlanders New Member

The missus has a tower unit which holds records, sits about 4ft tall - she painted this with rust-oleum chalk mocha paint thinking it would match the mango wood furniture we have... it didn't so it went upstairs in the spare room.

But now it needs to come back down - can anyone recommend a paint which will match mango wood i.e chestnut, walnut, that i can paint on top of the existing coat?

The original surface of the unit was a glossy mdf type surface.

Thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Was the chalk paint wax polished?

3. portlanders

portlanders New Member

No, it's a flat matt finish.

Due to the colour needed i wondered if an exterior gloss would work?

4. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

Bedec Barn Paint or Bedec Multi Surface Paint MSP. Sand but get it clean and paint will hold tight

portlanders likes this.
  5. portlanders

portlanders New Member

Thanks, the brazil colour on the MSP looks a good enough match - now to find someone who sells it.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Take a look online at Bedec, they show a list of regional suppliers or just phone customer services and go by ur postcode to find the nearest supplier

As ever, also available via eBay and Amazon sellers - all colours, sizes and paint types

Bedec used to send out free paint samples that you could request via their website but cant see this listed anymore (may have missed it though) ?

Again, call customer services and ask for a pot of MSP Brazil as a free sample - may still be offering this service :)

portlanders likes this.
  7. portlanders

portlanders New Member

Fantastic, thanks will give them a call

8. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

Toolstation sell some. Builders trade places. Decorating merchants but mostly the independents. EBay. Amazon.

portlanders likes this.