Painting over silk emulsion.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Graham Linton, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Graham Linton

Graham Linton Member

Is there a way of painting over silk emulsion with matt emulsion without sanding the walls first?

Thank you.

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

A good wash down with sugar soap should be fine but a light sand down with 180 grit or similar is definitely a good idea.
    Test a small area first with your top-coat as occasionally they can react, but I've never had a problem.

3. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

I used Gardz last time I went over silk.
    Google it for size and price.

4. billathome65

billathome65 Member

Gardz is pricy if your going to paint over silk with a matt I would advice a light sand or try a durable matt which is acrylic based.

5. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

True, I thought that when I answered. I don't like sanding vinyl if its going
    to be overpainted. The rubbing can pick off too much leaving more problems.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

With good quality paint you can go over silk if it's clean but I prefer tinted (if a colour) or white acrylic primer then top coats.

The durable / washable emulsions do stick really well and will take to silk vs cheaper paints.
    Some do use gardz and other products

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’ve painted over silk a few times at MIL house and had issues with the silk blistering through the new paint - some go down as paint dried whilst others refused to deflate

My theory is that as the silk is plastic like and impervious, the new coat of emulsion takes longer to dry and the water content of the paint hangs around longer, sitting on the silk. This may cause blistering of the silk where it looses adhesion to the surface underneath but …..only my theory !

Seem to remember the last room i painted over silk I first used Zinsser 123 after a light sand over to seal/prime the silk. No issues then with blistering

Ok, extra money for materials and a little extra time but for me, after issues with two previous rooms it was worth it (especially as a ‘family favour job’ at the weekend)

Others have painted over silk with minimal prep and no issues / but just too many variables for a guaranteed finish

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Durable emulsions (scrubble type) don't bond so well when wet and damp. Any going back over too soon or even after a few minutes can cause bubbles and silk paint is well sealed so paint takes hours for emulsion to harden. The recoat times are way longer for this reason vs cheap contract paints that you've bang on and dry quickly. I prime then less likely to get trouble. Any pickling of emulsion then walk away and allow to harden. Was covered by leyland or dulux academy youtube clip. So many paint resins and formulas is becoming a mine field so always read application data sheet for clear instructions for whichever paint is chosen. Saves the head ache

9. Graham Linton

Graham Linton Member

Thanks to everyone who responded.