Painting over varnished surface.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by billfromarran, Sep 12, 2018.

1. billfromarran

billfromarran Member

I have to paint some wardrobes, they are made of Contiboard, stained then varnished,I think with polyurethane. They look horrible.
    I am going to use water based eggshell for a finish, but will obviously need to prepare first. I have washed them down with Sugar soap (Nicotine removal!) , and sanded over to try to give a bit of a key. I don't want the final paint finish to chip.
    What would be best to use for a primer, Bin or Bullseye? or any other suggestions. Thanks in advance.

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

You don't need a primer ... the wood is sealed (by the varnish), the surface is free of any grease (by the sugar soap), and the surface is keyed (by your sanding).
    Just buy a good quality paint and go for it.

3. billfromarran

billfromarran Member

I have found in the past that paint does not stick well to polyurethane varnish ,even having sanded for a key. I just want to do a belt & braces job on this one,which is why I was thinking of using a primer. Thanks for your reply.

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

5. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

I painted my garage door about 5 years ago. I did not need to remove the varnish.
    Sanded very lightly to give a key.
    Bullsye 123 primer
    Dulux Trade gloss oil based paint because it was outside. (You could use Water based gloss for indoor)

Still looking good 5 years later. No chips, peeling or fading.

You could use Chalk Paint. This requires no primer. I did an experiment 2 days ago just for fun. Painted an old kitchen cabinet door in the garage (melamine surface) with Chalk Paint because it was cheap from Aldi.

Chalk paint gives a really nice finish and dries very quickly - 1 hour. The surface requires very little preparation - just a clean.
    Then you just apply a furniture wax to buff the surface over the chalk paint.

Annie Sloan is a popular brand but you could just search for Chalk paint in general. Aldi had some small cans for £5 and Wax for £5 a few weeks ago.

I would definitely recommend the chalk paint - Gives a nice matt low sheen finish. (Stay away from Valspar water based gloss if your mixing your own colour at B&Q - its chips easily).

Aldi chalk paint
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/decostyle-chalk-paint/p/082239202496800

Aldi Wax
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/deco-style-furniture-wax/p/077312150399200

Annie Sloan links
    https://www.anniesloan.com/annie-sloan-products/paints/chalk-paint

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Zinnser BIN would be my primer

Would then use Bedeec Multi Surface Paint with 4" foam roller, end result is superb

KIAB likes this.
  7. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

Zinsser bin.. Will kill a brush or roller but get a thin coat on then top off with whatever you want.. As above post said..

8. PhilSo

PhilSo Active Member

Masonry paint

PhilSo :cool:

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Use solvent resistant foam then chuck away. I’ve got these black hard foam rollers, can’t remember make but don’t compress much, hold less paint but you get less bubbles in the paint, and roll slowly

Brushes, clean in meths

But I’m sure you know this wayners ;)

10. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

@Diydave I use clean spirit and let brush soak for a day or 2 to clean out the BIN. Meths works to.. If I can ill put BIN through £100 spray gun as so thin it goes on a treat

11. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Clean Spirit cleans the shellac loaded brush far better than Meths.