Painting over wallpaper glue and purple walls

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Kyle porter, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Kyle porter

Kyle porter New Member

Hi All

Please go easy on me as I'm a newbie.

I'm in the process of decorating a bedroom which is currently purple. I've stripped the border off and there is a lot of wallpaper glue residue on the wall. This is proving really difficult to remove.

I've done a bit of research and this is what I'm proposing to do. But any advice would be great.
    1. Get as much of the residue off
    2. Filler over with Easifiller - only as I have used this in the past. Is there an better option
    3. Sand smooth
    4.Paint entire walls with zinsser 123 I'm hoping this will seal the purple emulsion and hide any remaining wallpaper residue.
    5. Two top coats of brilliant which emulsion.

Cheers

2. Do you have steam stripper? If so, use that gently on the paste strip to soften and reactivate it, and then scrape/wipe it off.

Finish with warm/hot water and summat like sugar-soap (or other household cleaner) and a large thick cloth like an old towel.

I think you'll need to remove all the traces of paste or else it'll reactivate and swell up when you emulsion over it.

At least that's what happened to me... :oops:

Not sure that Zinsser and/or filler will cover it.

3. Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. Blimey, there is a product for this!

5. Kyle porter

Kyle porter New Member

Does anyone have experience of using gardz? Would I still be best to fill over the paste prior to using this?? What would be the best product for painting over the purple wall when I'm looking to get a white finish??

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Never used 'gardz' but best to get paste off. Sugar soap it, scrape it, sugar soap it...

You're lucky you only have a border of paste to get off. Had a whole house to strip wallpaper off last year. Getting the paper off was easy but you can't do anything till you get rid of the paste residue. Can't paint, can't plaster! Just get on with it ;)

Regarding purple paint, I'd just get some reasonable white emulsion and get coating, might take 2 or 3 coats to block it, but it cheap and good exercise :)

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The adhesive is probably border and overlap adhesive.....little chance of 100% successful removal, filling over adhesive with easy fill and sanding smooth to an acceptable finish is at best remote, if it is the border and overlap adhesive you may find using a hot air gun useful. If your happy with that then cover over the purple with a contract emulsion, 2 coats should blind it and then finish with your chosen colour.

9. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Have to say, I been using gardz for a few years now and the product is just amazing and has other uses.

Using it as a sealer coat on bare plaster ;-)
    The end finish is just amazing