Painting Over Wood Panelling

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Gordon J, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Gordon J

Gordon J Member

Hi there,

I'm about to start repainting over varnished wood panelling, it's a mid pine finish.

I've got some Zinsser Primer, recommended fod just such a task, and Dulux white undercoat.

The final coat is to be a light blue emulsion.

Could anyone please offer me some advice before I start, are there any pitfalls I should avoid?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Gordon.

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

My own experience of painting over matchboard paneling is that you suddenly find out how many gaps and cracks there were in the original boarding which now look very obvious and take an awful lot of painting and fiddling around to obliterate them. For that reason I would use a sprayer.

Proper painters/decorators should be along with decent advice at some point.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  3. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

4. Hi Gordon.

I've painted lots of wood panelling, and what you probably will find is that is expands and shrinks over the year with air moisture. Not really a problem, but you may need to go over it again if unsightly cracks show between the boards.

Ideally paint them when they are at maximum shrinkage point :)

(I wouldn't spray them - just brush with the grain. Looks good.)

5. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Decorators caulk worked well into the joints.

btiw2 and Astramax like this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sand over to remove any knibs, apply Zinsser BIN and let, if its matchboard fill gaps between each joint with decorators caulk as already suggested and leave to thoroughly dry, apply the undercoat (Dulux Quick Dry Primer/Undercoat has excellent opacity) 2 coats will be fine, rather than emulsion I would go for a tougher finish over timber such as a Quick Dry Eggshell or Quick Dry Satinwood both Dulux products.

7. Gordon J

Gordon J Member

Folks,

Many thanks for all the responses. I don't have spray equipment so it will all be brush work.

Based on your advice I'm now planning to tackle the project it this way;

1. Central Heating off for maximum shrinkage.

2. Sand & Fill with caulk.

3. Two Coats of Zinsser BIN.

4. Two Coats Dulux Undercoat.

5. Two Coats of Dulux Satinwood.

Hopefully that'll look good for ages.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sounds good. :)

9. Gordon J

Gordon J Member

Thanks again, a big job but it'll be satisfying when done. :)

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You want the heating on for a while. Wood shrinks when dry and expands when the air is damp. Additionally at this time of year, when you are painting you don't want the surface to be too cold. Some modern paints do cover too well at colder temperatures

clean the wood with a tack cloth after sanding

You need to make sure the caulk you use is designed for wood and will remain flexible

between each coat give it rub over with sandpaper to knock off any high spots.

Don't be in a rush to re-coat.

KIAB likes this.
  11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Thought the OP came over a quite competent so didn't want to hold his hand going into microscopic detail.:confused:

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Famous last words :);)

13. Gordon J

Gordon J Member

I was aiming to paint over 5 days to give plenty of drying time between coats, I've painted over tacky paint before and it has never turned out well.

While the central heating will be off, there will still be a normal level of domestic moisture for late winter/early spring. The panelling is all in an attic conversion so much of the moisture will rise I presume. So, while it won't be freezing, it won't be at maximum expansion either. I suppose it's tricky to judge perfectly.

The point about the wood caulk has been taken on board - much obliged.

The Zinsser says no sanding is required, but I'd still feel better putting a key on a previously varnished surface.

All advice, microscopic or otherwise is very much appreciated.