Painting Pebble Dash

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Dr Decorator, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Got a job to estimate for, the pebble dash has never been painted before.

What would be best product and best method.

Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

First job give it a good clean with a pressure washer.

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Hopefully that'll get rid of most of the pebbles, but if it doesn't, you'd probably do well to paint on a slurry of pure portland cement to provide a surface that is relatively easy to paint. Cement slurry is a whole lot cheaper than even the most basic of paints, so it makes sense to 'smooth' thing out with it and then apply a good quality outdoor paint once the slurry has dried out completely.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Allow double the amount of paint you would estimate for a rendered finish and double the amount of time (at least) to get the stuff on

Best product is surely one of the recognised brands of masonry paint ..... as usual comes down to what the customer expects and wants to spend

Apart from the usual suspects, Bedec Paints are very good quality but not as ‘out there’ as the regular brands

5. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

Be careful , old dash can easy be removed by power washing. I would brush off as necessary, use a 4inch brush to apply and as said, double amount paint and time.

Astramax likes this.
  6. Dr Decorator

I dare not pressure wash in case it does blow off pebbles

Am gonna treat with anti fungicidal and wash downs.

May have to revert to spraying at lower pressure and back roll

DIY womble likes this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Doctor, Doctor as in the Thompson Twins, first of all ascertain the soundness of the pebble dash and make necessary repairs, apply a fungicidal wash and clean walls by brushing down with a bristle brush as this is more sympathetic to the substrate than a stainless steel metal brush. I would advise as it is first time painted to apply a coat of stabilising solution to seal and bond the surface thereby making the pebbledash sound prior to painting with whatever masonry paint you decide upon, look for BBA approved masonry paint as they will last up to the area of 15 years if applied correctly. Sandtex and Weathershield are proven brands of masonry paint and will give good service as would the Albany range, all available from Brewers. Keep your eyes peeled for seasonal offers often in the 7.5 Litre size where good savings can be made.
    Best wishes
    Astra.

Jord86 and Dr Decorator like this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Everbuild 406 stablising soulution, highly recommended.

Where are you Dr D, I have a few cheap places for it.

9. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Get an SDS drill and a chisel bit.
    Dip the bit into a pot of masonry paint.
    Colour of your choice
    Remove pebble dash as you apply paint.

I hate pebble dash.

PhilSo

DIY womble likes this.
  10. Dr Decorator

Was thinking of adding E B by Owatrol to the first coat

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Darn pricey.

Around £50 for 2.5 ltrs.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Seal the wall with the paint manufactures recommended Stabilizing Solution, it will probably be ok ish to mix brands but as I assume it's a paying customer you don't want any failure.

KIAB likes this.
  13. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

I have been painting some pebbledash this weekend.

I do have the stabilising solution, but the previous owner painted the pebbledash in a magnolia paint.

I have given the exterior walls a sponge down with sugar soap to remove any gunk and removed any flaky bits of old paint with a wire brush.

If the surface is ok, is a stabilising solution overkill?

What masonry brush / roller do you recommended?

I was using a 4 inch masonry brush and really jabbing in the Sandtex masonry paint. It only has a plastic handle and managed to break.

I am going to end up with a forearm like Popeye if I have to hand paint whole exterior with a 4 inch brush.

Can you clean a masonry brush with just water after using Sandtex masonry paint ?

Any tips would be helpful.

Cheers

IM

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Iron_Mike likes this.
  15. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Get wifey to do it, you just give instructions.:eek::D
    Stilts are much cheaper than scaffolding

Iron_Mike and KIAB like this.