Painting Plywood Sheets

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by PHILPH, Jun 14, 2013.

1. surfermick

surfermick New Member

ah, but the op was asking the question in the "painters talk " section DA, i think that means he wants a profesional opionion, he could go down to anypub and get the advice you have given. personally, as a poor spellling profesional paynter i would have to advize against using masonairy paint. and im afraid to say it depends on the grade of ply whether it will have sappy knotts in it or not ;)

2. The OP came on to a professional forum to ask some professionals what to do.

He got his professional answers. From the professionals.

He should now go out and buy a bucket of masonry paint.

'Cos that's all that's needed

If it can last for 5 years (so far) on smooth timber fascia boards on a south-facing hoosie, then I am pretty darned confident it'll last a sod of a longer time on smooth, dry, internal plywood.

It ain't the professional way to do it, but it sure is the sensible way...

3. Chust remembered - in my own garage I have painted all the internals blockwork with white masonry paint, and also the chipboard tool panel (so far minus tools...) which is screwed directly on to that single-skin wall. Apart from being dusty, the finish is as good as it was when first done - nearly 10 years ago.

I really doubt ply is gonna be that different to chippie.

4. surfermick

surfermick New Member

ok, ok, but to really convince me i want to see your car painted in it

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You certainly convinced me DA, just been and looked at my wooden stirring stick used to stir masonry paints could'nt see any cracks or flaking on it at all in fact apart from the paint on it I'd say it was as good as the day I first used it.

6. If it's good enough for a pro's stirring stick (ooh-er, missus) then it's good enough for, well, chust about anything...

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Like the Ronseal Decking Stain on the right.

Bargain.
    <strong style="font-family: verdana;">Now Only £33.59[/b]
    Save £11.20[/b]

<strong style="color: #ff0000; font-family: verdana;">???[/b]

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Well spotted Handy. Someone at Screwfix will have a red face tomorrow morning.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It's been there a few days now! I'm waiting for it to go down to 'Was £11.23 Now Half-Price £8.50' then I'll have some.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Right Lads,

I'm just about ready to get something slapped on these boards, probobly the weekend.

Could I double check once again as I'm leaning towards just using white smooth masonary paint as a few people have mentioned?

Think I just need a little more reassurance that this will work and is not a wind up!!!

Thanks lads.
    Phil

11. surfermick

surfermick New Member

its true enough Philph, its not a wind up. you can paint wood with the old masonry paint. it will do the job, DA is right:)

12. And if it all peels off, don't forget it was Mick wot said to do it...

Phil, no wind-up. Smooooth stuff applied with a roller. You'll be sniggering at how easy and cheap this job will be to do after all your concerns.

It may need two coats, in which case don't apply them too thick.

13. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Thats champion lads.

Thanks for all you help, I'll whack a few coats on over the weekend.

Oh, one last question, any particular brand to use?

Phil

14. surfermick

surfermick New Member

leyland granocry masonry paint if you can get it near by, great paint, cheap, thick and long lasting.

15. Phil, if it's guaranteed for 10 to 15 years for outside use, I reckon it'll last at least a couple indoors... So I wouldn't worry too much about the brand.

Mind you, Sandtex is a reputable brand, and I doubt you'll find better value than from our hosts...

That'll do the job chust nicely

16. surfermick

surfermick New Member

that is a damn good price for sandtex

17. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Thats great lads, I'll give the Sandtex a go.

Thanks again for all your help.

Phil

18. (Snigger - he fell for it. It'll stay on for a week max... )

19. Only kidding! It'll be PERFECT!!!

20. surfermick

surfermick New Member

youre playing with my mind:'(