painting pressure treated timber

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by b4xtr, Jun 11, 2019.

1. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Hi All
    In the near future am going to purchase some wooden gates for the garden
    Have the choice of being made in un-treated or treated timber
    Am leaning towards treated for obvious reason of longevity but, if her indoors decides that she wants them coloured or stained, what's the best approach to paint or even stain pressure treated timber ?
    Cheers

2. LEH

LEH Active Member

You have to let it dry and out and weather first. Pressure treated timber has quite a lot of residual moisture in it. And I think the treatment can affect the paint when it’s fresh. More experienced members will be along shortly with specifics but I think at least 6-12 months?

3. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

A lot depends on the timber.

Some "treated" timber is quite low quality and has a bare coating of treatment. Better quality wood that you can treat yourself if sometimes the better option. The surface of the timber is also quite important, I have seen some guys buy treated timber which has a rough surface and then sand the heck out of it losing most of the protection.

For me, if there was more than £20 difference between the un treated and treated, I would go for the untreated and spend the money on good quality treatment

b4xtr likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Buy untreated and treat it yourself with a good quality clear timber preservative 2 or 3 coats. Bedec Barn Paint say sand the surface of the treated timber and apply the Barn Paint ......that method still fails the longevity test..................go untreated!:)

b4xtr likes this.
  5. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Thanks Guys, untreated it is then !

6. Astramax

A very good move, untreated has it's uses but not under decorative finishes.........yet!;)

7. Astramax

My brain and fingertips are not talking to each other as above post should read:
    Treated timber has it's uses but not at present for applying decorative finishes over. :rolleyes::oops: