Painting round glass - how to get a clean line

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Muzungu, May 15, 2018.

1. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

This may seem a pretty trivial question but I would be interested to know what method people use to get a clean finish on the border between glass and wood. I have a couple of doors to do with 6 panes of glass in each.

Do you mask? Are you just so good you can get a clean line anyway or do you just go for it and then get a clean line once the paint is dry by using a scraper? Just done a couple of windows and I have found it easier to use a scraper than all the hassle of masking on each coat.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

is the glass flat and clear? if so use waterbased/acrylic paint and paint away until your hearts content, when dry clean paint off glass with a razor bladed scraper.......do not try this with an oil based paint as it will not work.

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

What seems to be the problem with this? I have a wooden conservatory made from redwood, and painted with oil based exterior paint. When I do a repainting job on it, I invariably drop paint on the glass or it runs a bit, but I leave it for a week or so and scrape it off with a razor blade. I've never had any difficulty getting rid of it, and have never scratched the glass. I guess it depends on how thick the paint is and whether it's completely dry when scraping commences. If it's even slightly 'wet', the scraping method doesn't work well, but you can always take a second stab at it a few days later, by which time the remaining smears should be dry enough to come off cleanly.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You are obviously DIY, oil paint doesn't dry in a matter of hours as does acrylic. Unlike DIY'ers I haven't got weeks for the paint to suitably harden, I am a professional painter and do not make a habit of badly cutting in!;)

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If using water base paint, then use a quailty synthic paint brush, will make it all much easier.

6. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Thanks for all that. Water based paint and flat clear glass. Looks like I'll be staying with the scraper. I find it strangely satisfying, as long as I have a keen edge.

Astramax likes this.
  7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Often small gaps between the glass and timber frame/bead

Sometimes putty used or just glass bead, or sections of putty have dropped out

If small gaps or ragged edge of putty, small bead of caulk around the glass, wipe off excess with a damp cloth. Allow caulk to dry, overnight if you can

I find a small slant cut brush good for cutting in these glass panes with a small overlap onto the glass

8. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

If I'm painting small framed glass, I paint on the frame close but don't worry being exact, some gets on the glass. I use a cocktail stick to 'draw' round the glass/frame meeting when wet, which separates the joint.. When dry you can then push scraper/stanley blade flat towards the frame and the paint just falls away.