Painting Varnished Tongue & Groove Kitchen Ceiling

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by AWJI, Apr 1, 2017.

1. AWJI

AWJI New Member

Hi,

Please bear with me - ive tried seaching the forums for the right answers but so far i havent been able to piece them together into the correct approch.

My kitchen has a varnished tongue & grove ceiling, which we think is too dark and are therefor thinking about painting it white.

There varnish isnt the thickest or that hard - i can dig my nail into it.

From my own research i think i need to apply an primer and then a top coat.

Primers that i have seen mentioned (either with or with a light sanding) :-
    Zinsser 1-2-3, Zinsser B-I-N, Dulux Super-Grip

TopCoats that i have seen mentioned :-
    Statinwood, Perma-White

Has any one got any idea/recomendations, before i attempt this project

Photo below - dont know how the photo has came out upside down

[​IMG]

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wash over with a sugar soap solution to remove and grease/dirt etc, then a light sand over to remove any knibs, followed by 2 coats of Zinser Bullseye 123, this must be left to fully cure which takes around 5 days (remember cured is not the same as dry) you can use BIN which would be quicker but will require flattening off with wet and dry prior to applying any finishing coats. After applying the Zinsser you can use an acrylic undercoat if it's still on the patchy side or go straight over with a quality Quick Drying Satinwood or Quick Drying Eggshell such as Dulux Trade products, personally I would choose Eggshell for it's recognised durability within a kitchen environment, both finishes will require 2 or 3 coats, use a 4" felt roller to apply and lay off with a synthetic brush.

KIAB likes this.
  3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Excellent advice from AstraMax as usual. One of the big problems you will have is the joints along each joint. Because the timber moves quite a bit the joints will tend to crack or when the timber shrinks, reveal some unpainted varnish. So as above wash the timber down to remove any old grease and dirt, let the ceiling dry and then paint.

It is probably a two person job - one to paint the boards and the person who's idea it was, to use a half inch brush and work the paint into the joints :D

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good point raised by sospan re joints, after 1st coat of Zinsser a very good 'Premium grade' caulk could be used to fill any gaps twixt t & g boards, fill and wipe over with a damp sponge.
    (Premium grade is a stiffer caulk not weak and over moist so will not shrink and crack like most caulks).

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I would use aluminium primer. 2 coats over 2 days. Leave it 48 hours. Caulk joints leave 7 days to dry. 1 coat of waterbased Undercoat. Then paint with whatever.. Zinsser bin don't stop knot bleed. Says it dose but fails. Aluminium primer won't let anything bleed through.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Unlikely to get knot bleed through varnish!:rolleyes:

7. AWJI

AWJI New Member

thanks for your comments - very quick responses.

i was already leaning towards zinsser 1-2-3, but in read somewhere that it shoulnt be used over varnish.

Re caulk : could you recommend a premium caulk - the ones on the screwfix website dont seem premium.

Re aluminium primer : this wasnt something i have heard off before. Should i not be worried about using an oil based primer with a waterbased topcoat - i thought they would react badly.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You can use 123 over varnish (must let cure), Brewers Premium Caulk (own brand), yes I would be very worried about using water based products over freshly painted oil based paint as that's a big No, No:eek:

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

:D