PAL screwless switched socket.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dawsy, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Dawsy

Dawsy New Member

Help, I have sunk a 35mm knockout backbox into my brick wall and made it flush with the plaster. Unfortunatley the socket will not go into the backbox due to the boses behind the screw holes, sitting on the backbox screw lugs. When I went back to S/F we tried another socket in another backbox but just the same. Any advice much appriciated chaps. Thanks.
    Hope you can understand this.:)

2. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

You've got a standard socket, that won't fit a standard back box?

3. madhatter1uk

Fit a 25mm back box and longer screws.?

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

All these fancy slimline, screwless, flush, etc face plates can be tricky to fit and can easily catch you out and change your 5 minute simple job into something much longer and stressful. Often requiring a deeper box than a standard white faceplate

Couple of options I can think of;

Set back box a little deeper..is this feasible, even if you've decorated, shouldn't cause too much damage to wall surface

or

Drill through lug holes and make pilot hole in back of box, both sides, in-line with lugs and switch plate
    Remove back box lugs or just bend flush with box
    Use a threading tool to cut thread in back box pilot holes (M3.5)
    Using longer screws, 50mm probably, screw faceplate into back box (ensure any additional screw length can pass through box and into holes in wall)

Job done mate

http://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-rethreading-tool-m3-5x-6/59312

Dawsy likes this.
  5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

OP has fitted a 35 box and face plate wont fit this, 25 mm isn't gonna help him

Don't think its the box depth issue (although a screwless skt in a 25 box is gonna be tight to maybe impossible, especially if 2 cables on a ring)

I think he's set the box right flush with the wall, not usually a problem, but some of these flat plates/ screwless have a sort of riveted fitting behind the screw hole that holds the switch and plate together. This can sit on the lugs and push the socket forwards slightly

Dawsy likes this.
  6. Dawsy

Dawsy New Member

Thanks for all the answers guys. I had thought of tapping new holes in the bottom of the box. Is the distance from top of backbox to the top of the lugs different on 25mm deep to 35mm deep ? Oh just got it, I think, Set the 25mm box deeper this will set the screw lugs deeper, yes. Thanks chaps.

madhatter1uk likes this.
  7. madhatter1uk

Either way will work. Good luck.

Dawsy likes this.
  8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

;) :D :rolleyes:

9. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Single socket ?

If it's a single box with top & bottom lugs that are in the way, bend them back and out of the way with a good clout.