Palm router

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by mrppp, Mar 18, 2018.

1. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  2. mrppp

mrppp Member

3. mrppp

mrppp Member

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

6mm :confused:, the one you linked to, was 6.35mm(1/4") shaft.

5. mrppp

mrppp Member

6.35mm then lol all SF are extra long shanks

6. mrppp

mrppp Member

7. mrppp

mrppp Member

Nice Router BTW so appreciate you mentioning it

8. mrppp

mrppp Member

Bought the plunge base to go with router. Made it so much easier especially with door hinges.

9. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Said that on page, you can set turret depth stop to thickness of hinge being used.:)

10. KEVIN NAIRN

KEVIN NAIRN New Member

I hang a lot of doors, and use a 46/913 top bearing guided router cutter. It's 12.7mm dia x 12.7mm long. I have my own hinge jigs which are made from 15 or 18mm birch ply with a 102mm long x 50mm wide rectangular hole cut in it. I use 4 jigs: 1 for the doors for 75mm hinges, 1 for the frame for 75mm hinges and the same for the 102mm hinges. I used to use a Bosch 110volt palm router, but now use the FANTASTIC Bosch 12volt cordless router. No more carrying around heavy router with ******. The Bosch 12volt planer is also FANTASTIC for trimming doors. I can router out recesses for hinges in 10 seconds as the bearing runs against the rectangular hole. I will try to upload pics of my setup as others may find it useful. I also have purpose made trestles to hold doors vertical and horizontal when trimming to length and width.

Jitender likes this.
  11. Jitender

Jitender Well-Known Member

I'll be quite interested in seeing the jigs. I made a hinge jig last year, in 'projects' thread.

Used it to hang over 8 doors, I used a template cutter with a bearing mounted. Just when I did the last one, the sides wore out so jig is useless now. Think it is much better to use a guide bush rather than being as will be less wear and tear on the jigs.

I did buy a hinge jig from Axminister last but not got round to using it, unpacked it yesterday and took me a while to understand it.

The jig I made was so easy to use and fool proof so will make up again, or use existing to cut the template bigger.

12. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

13. Jitender

14. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

15. Jitender

Getting the hang of this jig, used for a few door now and works well.

Watching the video helps, as you have to align the jig to the '0' mark.

Just have to remember to offset the jig 2mm from edge of hinge, ordered a 12mm cutter for use in a 16mm guide bush.

Few improvements could have been made, i.e have a no tools hinge adjustment. Need to use a screwdriver to adjust the width of hinge, looking at putting in some threaded wing nuts.

Don't think I will use it in the door lining mode as easier just to recess hinges using a palm router.

KIAB likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Found that jig so fiddlely & annoying to set up.

17. Jitender

Must admit took me a while to work out how to use it, as well as assemble it.

18. Jitender

I've got the Kastsu router which is like a copy of the Makita palm router. pretty good little router but am tempted to look for the cordless one as I have the battery platform, but the smaller Bosch one look much lighter and controllable. Unfortunately I don't have any Bosch 12v tools, unless Milwaukee bring out a router,but don't thick they make this as I don have there drill and driver in 12V.

19. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

The 240v Bosch GKF600 palm router is total carp!

Got to buy Bosch adaptor to use guide bush, & guide bushes have to be Bosch, as they only ones that fit, you can buy a uni base to use other bushes, so I bought a Kastsu router & a plunge base.

20. Jitender

May get the plunge base for the Kasus as well. Find it can be trick setting the depth. Especially with hinges as hinge won't lie flat, on the knuckle. Also the fixed base that's supplied hinders the sight of the bit so hard to see when cutting delicate stuff.

AlvyChippy likes this.