Pan connection.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by patratatat, May 12, 2019.

1. patratatat

patratatat New Member

Hi I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what I need to connect my new toilet pan to the soil pipe.I am not sure if it will need a flexi connector or if it can be done with rigid pipe.I have been trying to upload photos but I am as good at that as I am at plumbing.The present set up is a drop of about 3" over about 10".The new pan has the pipe about 5 1/2" from the wall.7" up to the centre of the toilet pipe and 4" up to the centre of the soil pipe.So about the same drop over a shorter distance.What I can't figure out is how the angle is achieved as the pipe on the new pan comes straight out and the one on the old pan is angled down. I will be grateful for any advice given as I am keen to get on to tiling the floor to complete the bathroom.
    Pat.

2. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Ideally usually best to have new soil pipe at higher and horizontal level. Particularly if your soil stack is in poor condition.
    You could try an angled pan connector and also an extension multikwik to make up the distance, trimmed to size.

patratatat likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Use Tiny Pic or similar to resize photo: http://tinypic.com/

McAlpine do offset pan connectors.

patratatat likes this.
  4. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Offset connector unfortunately for the OP will meet the connection level, which I think by the description the soil pipe is through the wall at an angle.

patratatat likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's a darn lot easier to core drill a new hole through the wall, & start again,but if stack is cast iron, then without a lot of extra work like replacing stack with plastic, it's then not possible.

patratatat and Heat like this.
  6. patratatat

patratatat New Member

Hi I will probably try the angled connector and extension.I will have to try and mock it up as this is the only toilet in the house so need to be sure it will work before pulling the old pan.Is there any leeway with the angled connector.Looking at 14 degree one but drawing it out on paper it would be about 18 degrees.Thank you for your help.

7. patratatat

patratatat New Member

Yes the pipe is at an angle.

8. patratatat

patratatat New Member

Hi thanks for your help.I may well have to call in a plumber to look at doing this.Was just hoping to be able to complete the bathroom myself.So near and yet so far. :)

9. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Post a photo.:)

patratatat likes this.
  10. patratatat

patratatat New Member

Thanks but the uploading lark seems to be well beyond me.

11. patratatat

patratatat New Member

I will keep trying. :)

12. patratatat

patratatat New Member

13. patratatat

patratatat New Member

14. patratatat

patratatat New Member

Finally got the photos.Don't ask me how but I got there stumbling around in the dark. :)

KIAB and Heat like this.
  15. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Firstly, check what height your centre of outlet spigot on new pan is compared with old pan.
    They often are a similar height.

That grey connection in the wall is for to suit 4” pipe, which the white pipe section is.
    It might be possible to cut that pipe, keeping it as long as possible and hopefully join in with an angled multikwik, but it would need to be all carefully measured to see if it would work before removing old pan.

If you had to remove the white pipe completely, you need to put a short piece of 4” pipe into the grey socket to suit any multikwik extension.
    You could of course just cut the existing white pipe flush with the grey socket.

A tip for installing any multikwik pan connector or extension into a fixed pipe to allow extra movement is to not have the multikwik fully tight against the 4” pipe.
    Keep it short of it a few mm and this will allow movement at that part to help match the angle

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    patratatat likes this.
  16. patratatat

patratatat New Member

Thanks for your help.I have ordered an angled connector and an extension and a section of the 4 inch pipe.I will experiment when they come.Hopefully I will be able to post a photo of the completed job. The two pan centres are about the same. :)

Heat and KIAB like this.
  17. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

Decent effort for tiling behind the bog as well. Loads wouldn't bother.

The Teach and patratatat like this.
  18. patratatat

patratatat New Member

Thanks.I stupidly thought fitting the pan would be the easy part of the whole job and then I started to think it through. :) I guess it was all different 50 years ago.

19. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

yes,not the best places to work :(

Now days wc pans can be purchased which hide the soil pipe work and its connections. Back to the wall pans are excellent for hiding that already ugly nasty looking wall pipe. without onsite measuring some trimming of the existing soil pipe a mcalpine WC-F21R should work in conjunction with a btw pan.

Even having a WC-F21R at hand may just work to temporally fit the new pan/cistern to provide continued use untill another solution is found ;)
    What you dont use can be returned,sf love returns.
    Tt

patratatat likes this.
  20. patratatat

patratatat New Member

Hi Tt,Hopefully I will find a solution with all the parts ordered.I actually have a WC-F23R which I got not realising it was a mile too long at it's shortest.As you say that can be used temporalily worst case scenario. :)
    Pat.