Pan connector

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by John Fitzpatrick, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Hi,

I've bought a mcalpine 90deg flexible pan connector for my new wallhung toilet. I'm having difficulty inserting the fins of the connector into the clay pipe buried in the ground. I've measured the clay pipe and it is 100mm diameter. I'm wondering if i need a new type of pan connector as measuring across the fins its around 110mm. Any advice is appreciated.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Outside diameter?

Some clay pipes have a smaller intenal size to the usual 100mm, about 3 1/2".

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Have you tried a little lube?
    It's OK to use silicone grease on the fins into the pipe but not on the end that fits the pan.
    I guess I will get slated for saying so but a spot of fairy liquid might do the trick (other wash up liquids are available) I doubt it will affect the fins I would not use Vaseline though.
    KY jelly might ease entry too!

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I use veg oil.

5. Can only measure internal diameter as the rest is buried in the floor.
    I've tried a little fairy but still struggling. Will give it another go.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

KY Jelly is a great aid to satisfactory and enjoyable sex. You smear it on the door handle and the kids can't get in.

Joe95, teabreak, Jord86 and 1 other person like this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

:D

9. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Ky and other lubes contain Propylene Glycol ....which is an irritant.
    The product called 'Yes'....does not.
    Even bay oil is 90% petro chem.......which i advise against using on anyone.
    Organic coconut oil is great for skin and hands.
    Altho IF it causes any drying(very rare)...you can use Marula oil.
    The 'Simple' brand of products is quite good... for soap and shampoo etc.
    Rs

10. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Ah thats what I told the wife about the rash

11. Willing to give it a try as still can't get any flexible connector into the clay. Internal diameter is just under 100mm- do you think the DC1 will go in as it states 110mm outlet?

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The 110mm outlet is for the 110mm plastic pipe, other end with finned collar is smaller in diameter to go into clay pipe.

You will need a short piece of 110mm plastic for 110mm end before fitting pan connector.

DC1 is stocked by competitor.

Look at techinal drawing in link the overall width 110mm includes fins, these will fold up when inserted into clay pipe.

13. Thanks. Will get one today and give it a try.

14. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

The 90mm version could fit,has this been tried ? if the 90 is to loose and the 110 to big, Have in the past carefully reduced the size of the 110mm fins with very sharp scissors,it works and does not leak if done with care :).

Prefer multiwik pan connectors for clay,find the fins more flexible and less prone to splitting clay pipe :eek:.