Panel Board or Busbar?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Virtual Voodoo, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Virtual Voodoo

Virtual Voodoo New Member

Gents,

Have a job coming up soon which involves a new 100kva supply being fitted by the DNO with CT metering to smallish industrial unit which is yet to be rented out.

In the blurb that comes with quote it states that the customers eletrician must have suitable tails ready on the day for connection directly in to their CT chamber.

Not having done this before whats the best way of tackling this?

Min tails size speced is 70mm and being as I don't know yet how may Distribution boards will be required and where I want to leave future expansion open and easy.

Would 70mm tails feeding a 200A TPN Main switch be OK which then leads to a Busbar chamber be the way to go, or would a 200A switch feeding a Panel board be better as I've been looking at these on the web, and wondered if they were what you Industrial sparks use?

Any advice gratefuly received!

2. edward current

edward current Active Member

i would fit 120mm tails to a 3ph isolator feeding a bus bar, then fit isolators from the bus bar feeding other stuff?????

but thats just me

3. brownblackgrey

brownblackgrey New Member

I do a lot of this type of work, and I’d go for a panel board, as this unit is yet to be rented out I’d let someone else worry about the final electrical design.

4. Virtual Voodoo

Hi Brownblackgrey,

There is a good chance that I will get the rest of the instal too so I'm keen to make things as easy as poss for me.

Is it OK to feed a Panelboard direct from the CT chamber or should you use a TPN Isolator in series with it?

Also not having used a Panelboard before how best do you then feed a remote TPN Distribution board from there?

Is it just a case of glanding SWA direct to the PB if remotely sited and using singles in trunking if mounted adjacently?

Cheers in advance!

5. Walo

Walo New Member

IMO it would be a panel board every time because,

Hi Brownblackgrey,

There is a good chance that I will get the rest of
    the instal
    too so I'm keen to make things as easy as
    poss for me.

If you do get the rest of the work then all you will need to do is install an MCCB to the already live panel without having to switch off the whole supply feeding the busbar chamber,

Is it OK to feed a Panelboard direct from the CT
    chamber or should you use a TPN Isolator in series
    with it?

Yes, its an everyday instalation, I have done 3 like this commercially in the last month,

Also not having used a Panelboard before how best do
    you then feed a remote TPN Distribution board from
    there?

Is it just a case of glanding SWA direct to the PB if
    remotely sited and using singles in trunking if
    mounted adjacently?

Just gland cable in and fit MCCB it does not matter if the DB is adjacent or 100 metres away,

Cheers in advance!

6. Virtual Voodoo

Thanks all for your helpful replies.

7. Gab-Sparks

Gab-Sparks New Member

Sounds like a job 4 a good DI