Parking Charges at Screwfix

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Comlec, Apr 15, 2018 at 12:11 PM.

1. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

To say I am furious is an understatement. Nipped into a local store last week to collect an order. Van parked as not to cause an obstruction. Get a letter from Euro Parking Services demanding £100 pound for 'Not parked correctly within the markings of the bay or space".

I spend thousands in your store an this is how you repay customer loyalty.

May someone from Screwfix will help explain why I should still place orders.

2. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Migrate to Toolstation as a silent protest! No real hardship as T/S just around the corner or over the road.

malkie129 likes this.
  3. facilities

facilities Well-Known Member

Comlec did you take a photo? challenge it, on the other hand if parking was at a premium and you were taking up 2 spaces and I wanted 1 of them I would not be too happy, just saying

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Never knew out host had parking charges at stores, either all or just some stores.:eek:

5. facilities

Kiab perhaps it’s nothing to do with Screwfix, perhaps it’s a landlord issue, Comlec needs to ask Screwfix and take it from there

Astramax likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Good point, will have a nosey for sign at my store.

7. fillyboy

fillyboy Well-Known Member

Hmm, I drive a white(ish) Transit. To the best of my knowledge and belief, white transits are exempt from parking restrictions and speed limits.

8. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

It gets worse the letter is a final demand and having reread the letter, the charge is from TWO months ago. Having never received any other letters or any notice on the car they won't be getting a penny. I understand that it may be the Landlord and not Screwfix but we don't shop with the landlord!

Now I have to spend my time arguing with these thieving b@st*rds.

9. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

I would have parked in the disabled bay but there was already an old white transit there:)

KIAB and fillyboy like this.
  10. facilities

DA normally gives good advice on this sort of legal stuff (I hated having to say that:mad:)

KIAB likes this.
  11. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Have you contacted them at all yet, i.e. do they hold any correspondence from yourself?

12. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

Don’t worry they will be getting a recorded letter sent on Monday. In it I shall ask for an explanation.

13. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

I was going the other way, ignore them completely. Years ago I received two letters on separate unrelated "parking infringements" stating I owed them £150, if paid within a week or so drops to £75. I certainly DIDN'T commit any infringement that I was aware of, and the letters were from a private parking company, NOT the local council. I phoned my barrister mate for advice and he told me to throw them in the bin and ignore anything sent by them, they're trying it on. He said I'd receive another two letters with increased costs each time and them saying they'll instruct bailiffs to recover the money, then nothing. I did nothing as he said to do, and never heard anything more, that was eight years ago now. I believe they're chancing their arm, hoping people will be shocked/fearful enough to pay up.

14. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, I fully understand the need for Parking regulations and support their enforcement to prevent abuse of free parking. These rules are there to stop overstayers and those who obstruct others. These parking management companies use there own conditions to extort money to boost contract profit from ligitimate customers.

15. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

If you haven't contacted them DON'T once you make contact you are agreeing to a contract with them.
    It's up to them to prove you did this and the only way is in court, the chances of them taking you to court are very minimal.
    This is not a legal parking notice as the council could give you this is a private contract between you and them.

16. rogerk101

rogerk101 Active Member

My friend's daughter is a lawyer, and her first job out of Uni was with a parking company, and her job was to hound the likes of the OP.
    Her advice agrees completely with the advice above saying to chuck the letter in the bin.

17. Peter208

Peter208 New Member

If it comes from the local Council, pay it. If it comes from "others" bin it. That's what I did, only happened once, got lots of letters from these parasites, went on and on until it stopped. Do your homework, checkout the parking area you were in, have a word with the Manager at this screwfix.

18. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I have emailed Screwfix and await a response. I’ll hold off contact with the Parking extortion company.

19. facilities

bit late now Comlec but if Isitreally and Roger's info is correct perhaps a quite word with the SF manager to see what the script is would have been better, realise its Euro Parking but SF may contact them, so if you've not quite pressed the send button yet on that email..........

20. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Unless its council or police, don't pay. If you've already contacted them, then you've entered into a contract and you've made it trickier to wriggle out of it.