Parking permit height restrictions

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by Bitolas, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Bitolas

Bitolas New Member

Hi folks,

I am in the process to buy a van for a motorhome/campervan conversion, Relay L4H2 or maybe L4H3, but I just realised yesterday when I was doing my research that if I want to get a parking permit, there is a height restriction of 2.3meters almost in every council in London. How do I overcome with this? What are the options? And how do we see many vans parked around?

Many thanks for your time and help!

2. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Many camper vans have lift up tops, [​IMG] OK one shown is rather old, but still made, and they also use less fuel as lower wind resistance when travelling.

3. Bitolas

Bitolas New Member

That is the solution that I am looking at the moment. But I came over another problem...Euro 6 compliance!!!! :(

4. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I seem to remember in Turkey you can get nearly any van made into a motor caravan, I have considered the idea of buying a van and taking it there to be converted, not looked too deep into options yet, Bedford [​IMG] have made electric vans for years, the early versions were not that good, lead acid batteries, and short range, but there is no reason why you should not get some thing like this [​IMG] in an electric version, the problem lies in how much your willing to spend, there are moves to build electric assisted caravans, but as yet they are not legal in the UK, the problem is nearly every electric car has a towing capacity of zero.

But really can't see how it is going to work, I have a caravan which is in storage and just charging the battery for the motor mover and water pumps is a problem, if you need to plug both car and caravan into an EV charging point it becomes a problem.

I am considering giving up caravanning, when we started back in the 50's it was a cheap holiday, and big advantage was to say to kids go out and play and we could see them from the caravan, but the costs have gone up and up, and so have looked at motor caravan, the advantage is often you can stop in pub car parks and the like, but even that is getting harder, but we don't use the tow car for anything but towing the caravan, so they are a pair, so a motor caravan likely a lot better, but would only use for holidays would not use day to day.

But what we have realised is every time we use the caravan we tend to use the M6, so any storage place between where we live in Mid Wales and the M6 is OK, so at moment stored is Shrewsbury, 25 miles from where we live.