Parquet flooring damage

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by jimoz, Jul 5, 2018.

1. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Hi all, flooring not really my speciality. Prefer to stick to the good old click laminate or engineered variety! Having said that I have my ideas what has caused this but wanted to run it by some collective forum so have joined here and gives me a reason to get involved.

Anyway see below photos. You will notice the flooring has spread and there has been a patch repair in the border. Suspiciously this has a radiator pipework above, dropping down in room behind and then coming through wall. Sorry for poor quality photos.

Any ideas what may have caused this? No other cracks in walls or ceilings around affected area.

Thanks
    Jim

Attached Files:

2. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Not a clue when, most likely from an pipe on LHS, if parquet is still stuck solid-state hired drum sander, appropriate filler, sanding again and revarnish

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Possibly radiated heat being directly under radiator.

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Borrowers using too much dynamite while clearing a tunnel under the floor. Seen it many times.

5. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Glad you confirmed my thoughts re the dynamite. To the idiots who thought it was water related jog on!

Anyway I would have some spare blocks when the bathroom is squared up and a section of floor took up. Wonder if it would be worth trying to repair or be less noticeable if just filled? At least I think I would like to repair that border more in keeping with correct sized blocks and half bond. Guessing everbuild or someone would sell a dpm type adhesive to suit?

Filler wise would a similar coloured 2 pac be best or are there more suitable fillers for floor?

Cheers

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You could lift them and refit and if a gap is still going to be seen then make sure the gap is closest to the wall. Thats if they fit together perfectly where the gap is now.

7. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Madness... :confused:

Ideally epoxy filler, if not clear with a tad of pigment

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Cause will undoubtedly be radiator related.