Part P Prosecutions

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Part P Prosecutions, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Part P Prosecutions

Part P Prosecutions New Member

Hi guys,

There has been two recent prosecutions under Part P.

Have a look, there is one website link and a press release.

Link first!

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.c...e.html#storycontinue

And now press release

2373 7 February 2006

For immediate release

Successful prosecution by Bath & North East Somerset Council’s Building Control section

A bathroom fitter has been fined a total of £1,500 after pleading guilty to breaking regulations aimed at preventing unsafe work following an investigation by Bath & North East Somerset Council’s Building Control department.

The section prosecuted Roger Martin Drinkwater, born 1 March, 1956, (who trades as Salles de Bains) from Tarrant Cottage, Great Hinton, Trowbridge, for contravening Building Regulations with regard to the electrics in a replacement bathroom at a private property in the Bath and North East Somerset area.

The charges were brought under Part P of Building Regulations. These rules came into force in January 2005 and are designed to reduce the number of death, injuries and fires caused by faulty electrics. They are also designed to make it harder for contractors to carry out sub-standard work.

In this instance the defendant installed an electric shower but was not a qualified electrician. The method of wiring used was not in accordance with the British Standard. Also, while the installation of the electric shower was incomplete, the complainant was not advised that it should not be used or that it was awaiting checking. The complainant was eventually provided with a certificate from a suitably qualified electrician but only after insisting on this.

Mr Drinkwater pleaded guilty at a hearing at Bath Magistrates Court to three charges. He was fined £1,000 for the Part P offence and £250 each for the remaining two offences. The other two offences were that Mr Drinkwater failed to give a Building Notice to the Council prior to commencement of the work and he failed to give notice of commencement and completion of certain stages of the work. The purpose of these requirements is to enable qualified Building Control Surveyors to visit the site and ensure that the Regulations are being complied with and provide advice if necessary.

The court also ordered Mr Drinkwater to pay £1,066 in costs.

Cllr Vic Pritchard, Executive Member Community Safety and Housing, said: “These regulations are designed to reduce the number of people killed or injured by faulty electrics as well as make sure contractors carry out work to an agreed standard.

“This prosecution is evidence that Bath & North East Somerset Council takes seriously its role in ensuring the safety of residents and enforcing building regulations.”

Philip Mansfield, Building Control Manager, said: “Bath & North East Somerset Council always recommends that people employ electricians who are members of a recognised electrical competent persons scheme to carry out any work for them.

“Residents can obtain details of the competent persons schemes from the council’s building control section.

“If people are at all unsure about any aspect of work they are considering carrying out on their home or work that has been completed then please give us a call.”

Ends

Notes for editors:

The case was heard at Bath Magistrates Court on 31 January.

Part P of Building Regulations requires that “reasonable provision shall be made in the design, installation, inspection and testing of electrical installations in order to protect persons from fire or injury”.

2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk New Member

if he had just swaped a shower he would be alright

3. EH59 AMP

EH59 AMP New Member

good, at least our reigistration fees havn't been completely wasted.the more the better

4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk New Member

part p will not stop these people,it will stop sparks who were doing the job properly in the first place.

5. Part P Prosecutions

Part P Prosecutions New Member

Do you not think it will make the non registered pay more attention? I hope this just major publicity!

6. kraftwerk

kraftwerk New Member

no it wont

7. autonull

autonull New Member

from BBC news website,
    "Charges against five rail bosses accused of the manslaughter of four people who died in the Hatfield train disaster have been thrown out."

How many rail company bosses are presently locked up following Ladbrooke Grove ?

wouldn't it be a better idea to pursue and bring to justice these people first ?????

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Just seems like both of those jobs were done by complete morons who didn't know any better. I think they would have been done part p or not.

9. High Voltage Man

High Voltage Man New Member

Hi guys,

I think Part P stinks...

Its made good trademen apper incapable buffoons overnight in the eyes of the public. I've been in the game nearly 20 years and because I refuse to pay into a professional body and my employer doesn't think its required for on site I have become incompetent overnight...

I can switch and earth down 11Kv supplies at work but I can't put a new consumer unit in my own home without paying someone else to inspect and telling me it ok....

Part P will not stop the home numpty and the unqualified doing their own work at home and leaving a mess for someone else to find and sort out.. Why do places like B&Q still sell to the general public...

By the way I am 2391 qualified....

HVM

10. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

i'm not a spark but i agree with high voltage man.
    i know lots of people who won't pay to join these schemes part p. corgi etc. and like he says these guys have done this job all their lives and know it inside out.
    The cowboys will always be there in every trade and why? because the consumer will alway ask "how much" before they ask "how good"
    My trade doesn't require me to have anything like this but i still get approached by organisations to join up so i can display their little badge on my van and it seems to me all they really care about is the joining fee!

11. ChubbyPhaseWire

ChubbyPhaseWire New Member

i'm not a spark but

Why comment?

evo stick to what you know.

12. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

was i talking to you! idiot!

13. Brunokid

Brunokid New Member

<u><u>I refuse to pay into a professional body and my employer doesn't think its required for on site I have become incompetent overnight...</u></u>

Is £350 per year really a lot of money for you?

Bruno

14. Homer

Homer New Member

kraftwerk
    no he wouldn't

15. inkpad

inkpad New Member

autonull 'wouldn't it be a better idea to pursue and bring to justice these people first ????? '

thats a bizarre comment autonull - the LABC prosecuting the electrician are nowhere near Ladbroke Grove and have nothing to do with the railway disaster? They are doing what they should be - catching rogue builders who rip people off and give the good traders a bad reputation

should every local and national government department be working solely one thing and forget everything else until thats settled?

Looks like my bins wont be collected for a few years if thats the case - theyll all be up with the PM in the millenium dome all scratching their arses

16. High Voltage Man

High Voltage Man New Member

Brunokid,

Yes £350 a year is a lot for me to pay, especially when I haven't got the time to do as much domestic work that I used to when I was young, free and single.. The cost isn't the issue for me, if I did domestic work all day long then I would have to be registered and I'd gladly pay the money for the registration. But as I work on a large industrial site my employer has their own Electrical Safety Rules and, as such, has their own way of doing the I&T and their own forms (yes they are based on the IEE ones) and therefore doesn't consider it necessary to register us or the firm with a Part P body.

This then means I can do I&T at work all day long but I'm not qualified to do it in the real world unless I can find a contractor willing to register me as an employee and all the extra aggro that would involve...

So, officially, even though I have 20 years experience I cannot do domestic work but my neighbour who is a gas fitter can rewire his house and not give a monkeys...

That is why I think Part P stinks...