Part p self certification

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by marty1, Nov 6, 2010.

1. marty1

marty1 New Member

Evening chaps,

Im an Industrial and commercial spark thats been on the books for years, never bothered to go it alone as I cant be doing with the hassle of finding work,pricing work and all the hassle that goes with it.

I dont normally do Domestic because I cant stand it BUT...more and more over the last 6 months ive been asked to do some PJ's, I normally turn them down but ive now been offered an empty 4 bed empty detached rewire and 3x 3 bed new builds,All fairly easy jobs methinks that could be done at weekends.

If I was to do a part p course will I be able to self certify these jobs and anymore that come my way or will I need anything else?

Cheers in advance Marty

2. TallPaul

TallPaul New Member

Sorry mate but I can't believe that people are still asking this question when Part P is so well documented on the scheme providers websites.
    If you have C&G 2381, 17th edition, and can demonstrate your knowledge of inspection and testing you shouldn't need to do any "Spark in a week" course. Just get a couple of jobs where you have issued a EIC and apply to whoever. Bone up on you’re inspection and testing. Where to find relevant Zs values, disconnection times, RCD trip times, bathroom zones etc and you’ll sail through... Good luck

3. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Marty, I don't care what type of spark you are, or how many times you've been around the block.

As an electrician you ought to be aware of and fully conversant with all the rules in whatever discipline - therefore you should already know the procedure regarding domestic work however demeaning you find it....

Lucia.

4. marty1

marty1 New Member

Cheers Paul, Like I said im on the books and have been for years so I have no need to trawl their websites.

Im fine with testing just need to brush up on the zones.

Lucia

Er....hang on I never do Domestic so why on earth should I be fully up to speed with it all.Thats a waste of my time...well up untill now ;)

You telling me that domestic only sparks should know all the ins and outs of Industrial? Pointless.

5. J.P.

J.P. New Member

You telling me that domestic only sparks should know all the ins and outs of Industrial? Pointless

What a breath of fresh air.

6. FireballXL5

FireballXL5 New Member

In some instances, domestic electrics can be more demanding than industrial.

Those who diss domestic do so because of their inadequacies.

7. marty1

marty1 New Member

OOps ive hit a nerve with the domestic crew.

Im not knocking domestic sparks its just that I personally hate it.

Goodbye

8. J.P.

J.P. New Member

In some instances, domestic electrics can be more demanding than industrial.

Not being argumentative but the above holds no credence whatsoever. Industrial electrics are more complicated, and indeed in some cases is a work of art.

Must admit myself would never be able to wire up a say a motor repair shop and that must be simple for an industrial spark.

I'm not a spark myself but thats how I see it anyway.

9. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Well said Fireball, there are a lot of commercial/industrial prima donna sparks out there that think domestic work is beneath them, until things get bad for them then they decide they'll have a go at a bit domestic work, they then get brought down to earth and realise how different it all is!

10. larnacaman

larnacaman New Member

FireballXL5,

While not dissing domestic electrics fireball, you are totally wrong as far as stating that domestic is (can be) more demanding than Industrial.

Being an industrial electrician is a whole new ball game to being a domestic electrician/installer. If you don't believe me, take a look inside a modern factory for yourself. Installing and or maintaining those industrial processes are far, far, more demanding....

11. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

JP, just think about simple things like cable runs for example, you know, how to get a bit of 6mm t/e from the consumer unit to the kitchen for instance, move beds, wardrobe, pull up carpet, pull up floorboards (if you're lucky, if not cut access holes in chipboard sheets!)chase down wall, eventually run cable in, make good the chase, replace carpets, bed, wardrobe, etc,etc, all whilst people are in the house wanting to have the telly or washing machine etc working. Most industrial/commercial sparks wouldn't know where to start, and i'm not putting them down for that, it's just that it's a completely different game. I remember running a supply in for a new ramp at my local garage some time ago, 4 core SWA, out of the dist board, up the wall, along an existing cable tray and down into the ramp isolator, just so easy compared to a comparable domestic job!

12. marty1

marty1 New Member

Exactly why I hate it Seneca.....Its just too much of a ball ache.

13. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

far, far, more demanding....
    ---------------
    Just different Larnacaman, not necessarily more demanding for someone who's doing it all the time. I spent around 40 years as a television engineer before changing over to full time electrical work, that again is a different ball game. Switch mode power supplies, line and frame timebases, UHF tuners, split-diode line output transformers generating 30Kv EHT supplies, all needing to be repaired down to component level. The work I do now is so simple in comparison.

14. J.P.

J.P. New Member

I know what you mean Sen..I remember when me and my bro re-wired a house donkeys years ago which was occupied..very hard work revolving around the customer from what I remember. Cant say have had much of that though as all the properties in Hampstead London I re-wired were part of re-furb projects which meant they were completly clear (or cleared by us) and relatively easy to work on as such..can remeber some of the cable runs could be a bit tricky but it all gets done and certificated in the end I suppose.

15. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

The point is, that an electician is an electrician regardless of his or her background. As such, he or she should be abreast of all aspects of the industry in general.

I, myself, come from an industrial/agricultural electrical background - but I've taken the trouble to be reasonably conversant with all disciplines of the industry.

Any spark who fails to do so will find himself or herself in a rut.

Lucia.

16. CBR

CBR New Member

2 ways you can do it.

1) Inorm local authority building control that you intend to the job and that you are not Part P registered. I think they charge you about £125 per job (I'm part p so not certain of the cost).

2) Get Part P registered. NAPIT do a scheme where you can notify a max of 10 jobs, I think, which would suit you. Prices are on their site.

BUT..... Be aware that both 1 & 2 leave a paper trail and as they're 'private jobs', I'm assuming that you won't be planning on setting up as a registered business and paying tax. I have no idea where you stand there.

Another possiblity is to take on the job and then sub it out to Part P registered spark so you're just the middle man and 'labourer' ;)

Andy

17. CBR

CBR New Member

That was three haha

18. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Any spark who fails to do so will find himself or herself in a rut.

Absolute balderdash.

19. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Take a car mechanic for instance. The car mechanic might just want to work on cars and not aircraft..does this put him/her in a rut?

Of course not.

20. larnacaman

larnacaman New Member

seneca2,

I take both yours and Lucia's points, yes they are very different ball games. And any Electrician, or Engineer come to that that is interested in his or her profession will at least try and keep up on the latest rules/Regs etc....

I also came from a purely industrial background, that later changed completely to what i suppose you would call large scale commercial Building Services. But i still remember the pressure and demands within the industrial sector.

In my day, the industrial processes were mainly controlled by relays, sensors and limit switches ...thousands of the dammed things mounted in panels which could be 12 metres long and more, and the odd micro processor. These days it's All electronically controlled, but down time pressure is still on the electrician to get the thing up and running again.

Hence, my suggestion that a industrial sparky's work environment is far more demanding than Domestic electrical.... I'm Not Dissing the domestic electrician, far from it, but having experienced both side of the fence i know the differences....