Partition wall advice needed

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Monkey Chops, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Evening!

So I'm planning a new kitchen and part of it requires a partition wall (2700 L x 2400 H) which will make up one side of the kitchen and have a lot of units hanging off it.

The problem I have, is that all the ceiling boards in these houses are asbestos, so I obviously don't wan't to be drilling or nailing into that. Would making a wall using blocks and mortar right up to the ceiling and mortared at the top be a good option? Or is there another way that would be strong enough to hang kitchen units off?

Thanks!

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

You will be ok sticking some screws in there, just make sure you hit the joists

Monkey Chops likes this.
  3. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks, mate, I'm not sure how I can know where the joists are without removing all the plaster to see where the nails are in the asbestos, but I didn't want to be disturbing the asbestos if possible.

4. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Monkey Chops likes this.
  5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Just use a magnet to find the screws/nails. It usually only takes a few minutes to have most of the joists lined out.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  6. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks. Yep, that sounds like a good idea, I'll have a look upstairs.