Parts of boiler not accessible - plumber claims this is against Benchmark checklist, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by therafox, Mar 22, 2021.

1. therafox

therafox New Member

Hey all, I just recently moved to a new building and had a plumber over for a regular boiler inspection. While everything was more or less fine, he noted that the boiler (indirect unvented cylinder) is installed in a way which makes it hard or even impossible to access for some repairs. Specifically, the water meter is too close and repairs would require removing the meter, which he said most plumbers aren't allowed to do. Here's what it looks like:
    162026778_271081037976380_8241071122544041071_n.jpg

He pointed out the Benchmark checklist requires that "the system has been installed and commissioned in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions" and claims that installing it in this way is not compliant with the manufacturer's instructions which require the unit to be serviceable and accessible for repairs.

He suggested I reach out to the property development company and ask them to amend this, since they are the ones who would've been liable to install it correctly. However, immediately after doing this, I received pushback with them asking to see the plumber's report and the service history, which doesn't seem relevant to me. Also, the plumber's report only includes things related to the service, not whether the boiler was installed according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Does his suggestion make sense? Would it make sense to pursue this further with the property development company? If so, what arguments / evidence would it take for them to do something (if someone's been in a similar situation)?

The building is less than 10 years old and is still covered by Buildmark from NHBC, but I'm not sure if this is sufficient / important. Would the NHBC be able to help with this?

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

It does all look a little cramped but not sure what can actually done about it unless you foot the bill.
    If the water meter needs to come out for access it would come out.
    Nhbc won’t help.