Party wall rsj cut in half

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Jax, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Jax

Jax New Member

Hi. I have a party wall agreements with my neighbours. I live in a semi and the rsj between our house ground floor has been cut away on their side and a new bigger one is now resting on what is left of the original rsj. Two bricks divide our houses and they have definitely cut further than one.

I have the surveyor visiting tomorrow to look at the crack that has appeared. I do understand that they will repair this but my concern is the long term outlook. Their new steel is much bigger as they also did a loft extension.

Attached Files:

2. Jitender

Jitender Well-Known Member

Just to confirm is it the neighbors who are having the work done.

From first impressions the steel looks undersized, would have expected something bigger.

Was a SE employed to calculate the RSJ? and were you given set of plans.

From what I understood from the PW surveyor used last time, was that beam can only rest on their half, and not any further, hence why most SE only specify a 100mm bearing on a single brick thick wall.

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Active Member

I would have expected to see a load spreading padstone if it is resting on a single skin wall.

4. Jax

Jax New Member

Hi and thanks for replies. Yes photo was taken in my neighbours house as they are the ones having work done.The photo shows the original rsj from 1946 when house was built. The other half is obviously still in my half of the semi. To my knowledge they have placed a larger rsj on top. I have the plans and can see the new steel shown but no SE report

5. Jax

Jax New Member

Attached Files:

6. Jitender

I would request them to get a SE report done, if a PW surveyor was used, they would have used this in the report.

Is it all under building control as well.

7. Jax

Jax New Member

Yes to building control. I will talk to the PW surveyor tomorrow and see what he thinks. Sadly I only have the original "excavation" photos as shown. Perhaps builder took photos of padstone, new rsj etc. They also built a Juliet balcony on the opposite side of the house with rsj underneath. They then realised it was short by two feet and rsj had to be moved and Juliet balcony extended. Coupled with the fact that they used power tools on the party wall for two weeks, against party wall act, and the new roof they put up is now leaking, hence my concern, I am worried re long term affect on my remaining rsj. I will report back after PW surveyor visit.

8. Jitender

All this doesn't sound too good :( especially the crack:eek: and RSJ overbearing on the party wall. The crack is the most worrying thing about all this.

Need to get PW in ASAP and see what needs to be done, as they clearly have not followed the agreement.

From what others had post on some other posts the agreement covers you for 7 years after work has completed.

Make a list of questions to ask the PWS.

9. Jax

Jax New Member

10. Jax

Jax New Member

Thank you. Your message has given me a huge amount of help. Sad to say, despite my raising these concerns both with builder and neighbour, I think they see me as the annoying woman next door!

11. Jax

Jax New Member

Well the PW surveyor visited. He was surprised by the amount of digging out on the neighbours side and how they had laid the new rsj. He has recommended that he revisits next spring before signing off. He was confident that there would not be any further movement/cracking on my side but could not guarantee the same for my neighbours.