Party wall sound insulation

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by JB1991, Jun 13, 2020.

1. JB1991

JB1991 New Member

Afternoon all,

I was wondering if anyone has carried out a job or had their own walls treated to improve the sound insulation performance?

Long story short, we hear absolutely everything from our neighbours, whether its a slightly louder conversation or music, we hear it all. We were going to move but uncertainty around Covid has changed that.

We've been presented a couple of options by a local tradesman.

1. Install two layers of 12.5mm British Gypsum soundbloc plaster board directly onto the party wall in question. This will add mass to the wall and hopefully greatly reduce airborne noise (conversation, music, TV etc)

2. Build a 100mm metal floating studwall, packed with sound insulating rockwool and two layers of soundbloc

Option 2 will be a little more expensive and probably achieve better results, but take up more room.

Anyone gone down the route of option 1 before and achieve good results? We're not after dead silence, we're realistic with our expectations. But we would like to dampen a large proportion of the noise we currently suffer from. We're likely to try insulating our living room wall before moving onto other rooms in the house which share the party wall.

Any advice gratefully received!
    John

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Option 2 is what I did in a rental semi that I own. It worked a treat. (I just used 4x2 timbers ... not the steel studwall, but it amounts to the same thing.)

3. davieg158

davieg158 New Member

I did something similar in a flat i stayed in.
    I simply covered my wall with the green pads that you buy for putting under your laminate flooring and put a sheet of plasterboard over the top using long enough plasterboard screws to fit on to the uprights behind the original plasterbaord