Passing off diy electrical work as pree part P

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by gardm1nt, Feb 11, 2005.

1. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Whats to stop the diy lot doing serious electrical work then when it comes to selling or when the shi* hits the fan and theres a fire etc just claiming that the work is pree part P. This question has been really bugging me.

Paul

2. part-p.org.uk

part-p.org.uk New Member

if the brown stuff does hit the fan part p will be the least of their worries.

3. tellondon

tellondon New Member

Its not just coincidence that the harmonized colours are coming in at the same time

4. Damocles

Damocles New Member

I think it remains the case that insurance companies are not currently much interested in such matters. Certainly nothing about it on our insurance renewal. I very much doubt the insurance could refuse to pay a claim merely because of the absence of building regs aproval.Half the houses in the country would have invalid insurance. Possibly they might refuse because of faulty work, but that again has absolutely nothing to do with part P.

Why does this bug you? It will become increasingly difficult to make such a claim when installed equipment was never manufactured before 2005, but then I think the rule is if ten years have elapsed, no one is interested anyway. In fact, I think it is a time limit of 1 year for building control to take action.

5. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Its not just coincidence that the harmonized colours
    are coming in at the same time

Good job I got some old pre colour change cable then.

6. iloveshocks

iloveshocks New Member

So when you all say that the harmonised colours are coming in at the same time as part p, are we excluding the 9 months that the colour changes have already been in existence? i think we are mixing up two different issues here. Admitedly, harmonisation with Europe is ****, and so may?be part P. But to say they are linked is short sighted.

7. seylectric

seylectric New Member

Agreed, I've been using the new colours since last April. Well before part P.

Conversly, I've still got around 350 meters of 6mm T&E black and red cable. That will probably see me through the next two years. What am I supposed to do, bin it? Yeah, right!

8. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Don't give up your day job and become a project manager, will you? Delivering 2 stages of a project, say, on 01/01/2005 and 01/04/2006 when they should have come in "at the same time" will not endear you to your client....

9. seylectric

seylectric New Member

Behave, b-a-s. You know it doesn't work that way.

10. sparks

sparks New Member

I noticed that someone mentioned the fact that insurance companies are not interested in part "P", but over the past couple of years we have been asked to carry out periodical inspections in Pubs Clubs and factory units because the insurance has asked for this before they renew the cover, the other thing that is worth mentioning, if the installation does not meet the required standard often the insurance company will still insure the property, I think the problem will be when there is an accident or a fire and the insurance company will reduce the payout saying "You were aware of the defects but did no remedial work to correct them". As time goes by the same thing will apply to dwellings and it will become increasingly more difficult to sell houses that are not certificated.

11. The Trician

The Trician New Member

"As time goes by the same thing will apply to dwellings and it will become increasingly more difficult to sell houses that are not certificated."

Yeah? So what do you do? You get a PIR done just before the house is sold - that's what you do.

Let us get this thing back into perspective - all this panic-scare-tactic-talk about thousands of fires and hundreds of people dying every year. Just look at the REAL numbers - not the half-baked politic-speak from the likes of the ODPM et al.

2.6 lives PER YEAR!
    The number of fires cannot be accurately ascribed because they are not investigated thoroughly enough - no disinction is drawn between fixed wiring and portable appliances.

Get a grip everyone - for ferk's sake.

12. baboon

baboon New Member

TT i`m with you on this one too much hype is being put into this s*

13. Damocles

Damocles New Member

Perhaps insurance companies are more interested in wiring in pubs and clubs because of the rather greater likelihood that their owners will burn them down on purpose and blame it on the wiring. Insurance companies are interested in statistics.

14. seylectric

seylectric New Member

Insurance companies are interested in money, or rather, profit. There are tens of millions of householders that the insurance companies are willing to insure with reasonably flexible terms and conditions because they want your business. You have no legal obligation to insure your home if you do not want to.

On the other hand, pubs and clubs may hold hundreds, possibly thousands of people and if a thousand people were to die in a fire that's one hell of an insurance claim! The pubs etc. have to have the insurance by law too, so the insurance companies can just about impose any conditions they like, such as insisting that the wiring is certificated etc.

15. The Trician

The Trician New Member

16. Damocles

Damocles New Member

kangaroooooooo