Paste the wall

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by furious_customer, Aug 17, 2018.

1. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Was about to hang some wallpaper last night when I was pitched a curve-ball...instructions say to paste the wall, not the paper.

Now it's taken me long enough to get the hand of pasting the wall!

So I was wondering - what woud happen if I just used reegular "paste-the-paper" paste and treated this just like "paste-the-paper" wallpaper?

2. furious_customer

Now it's taken me long enough to get the hand of pasting the paper!
    (it should read!)

3. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

It's fine to paste the paper in the normal way, you don't need to allow the paper to 'soak' for 10 mins like traditional and you don't get the expansion/shrinkage that you do with traditional papers.
    Three out of the last four papering jobs I've done have involved paste the wall stuff, I pasted the paper on each and didn't have any issues. Crack on.

DIY womble likes this.
  4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Tray and 9" roller and paste (roll) the wall. Don't take 2 mins and just brush out top and bottom. Normally use ready mixed for paste the wall. Quicker than standard paper by some time

5. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

There are different ways of papering depending on the type of paper, but some delicate papers you are far better papering the wall rather than the paper because the paper becomes extremely fragile when wet so the faster your get it on the better.

6. furious_customer

Finished this job at the weekend and was fairly pleased with the paste the wall technique. Definietley easier to slide the paper about.
    The main problem was that the bottom 24 inches of the paper wanted to roll back up and whilst I was sliding the top into position it would rest against the wall - meaning that the face side of the paper ended up with a line of paste across it. It washed off fine, so not a biggie, but would prefer to find a solution to this problem before I did it again!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

After cutting length of paper, roll back up ‘inside out’, ie with the finished face on the inside, can secure loosely with elastic band and allow to ‘relax’ for few mins (paper, not you)

This will take the papers eagerness to roll back up away. Depends on weight of paper, some just roll inside out then it’s gone almost immediately

Then you can just pick up length or loosely fold in half and move over to wall and lay paper in place - definitely helps

furious_customer likes this.
  8. furious_customer

Thanks Dave, will try that next time.
    Other thing I had thought about was pasting the last 12" or so of the paper to make it a little more 'bottom heavy'.