Pat testing

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Accaman, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Grizzly01

Grizzly01 New Member

earth lead. need that in a run test

You certainly do need the flying lead for a Class II insulation test!

2. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Thanks Grizzly. :)

3. sparkies r us

sparkies r us New Member

Hiya Accaman,
    We started doping portable appliance testing about 8 yrs ago, the main reason was to test out own site equipment and we were loosing periodic inspections to companies that could do both the fixed wiring and pat...
    Its like most things, you start off with not much testing, but over the years it starts to snowball and we easily get at least one whole day a week taken up by portable appliance testing....!!
    Seeing you are talking about a quantity of 3000 Items i would buy a good spec tester and make sure it can download the results to a good quality software, which is the worst part having to provide the test results at the end of the job.. I have a Robin 5500, which is probably a bit clumsy into days fast changing market, But it is really good, and well built... I Chucked the Robin software after about 4 yrs because it was really slow and not very good to use. I went out and got Easypat, Really easily to use and provides reports similar to normal fixed wiring certs.
    Price wise you don't want to be charging any less the 1.99 an item, I normally charge my hourly rate and then charge a small amount per appliance to cover the labels and time off site printing off results.
    I also send off to a company who print off numbered labels with my company name,telephone number and my Initials on them, All that needs to be added is the testing date and re-test date..! Easy and very professional..
    Hope this helps you out on your decision mate. Steve

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

PAT testing seems ideal for a bit of bunce.

5. Accaman

Accaman New Member

Well i have been talked into doing it for 70p an item.Im told most of it is class 2,30 items per building....I know its cheap but its a friend who manages the site and she says she has had quotes from as little as 50p an item!!!

At the end of the day,im doing this for her hoping to get the main contract on the site...what i might do is hire a good tester at first,if i hate the job then i wont be stuck with an expensive tester.
    Thanks for your advice...:)

6. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Hi Accaman.

The best suggestion I can make is to look at the Seaward test and tag system. It will allow you to print labels that you can attach to the equipment, also it will allow you to print barcodes for the test patterns on the PAT equipment. It means when you next come to test the item you can use a barcode reader to set up the tester rather than having to do it longhand. Give Seaward a call and they will give you plenty of advice, I have found them very helpful.

Good luck with the venture.

BS