Patch plastering walls prior to tiling.

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by The Laird, Feb 18, 2010.

1. The Laird

The Laird Member

Hi,
    I have removed the old tiles from all the walls in my bathroom. One wall is perfect to tile onto again but the other three are a mess. Removing the tiles has taken off much of the plaster finish coat. Walls are brick with plaster (mid 1960s).

I plan to skim them myself this weekend in preparation for new tiles. Would love to use a plasterer but can't afford it. Tiles are 500 x 300mm and I will be using Mapei Keraquick powder adhesive.

Questions:

1. what preparation do I need to do to the walls prior to plastering?
    2. what type of plaster should I buy? I hav heard Wickes One-Coat is very good, is this true? Or is something else better?
    3. what preparation, if any, do I need to do to the plaster once dry, prior to tiling?

All asistance most welcome.

Mark

2. bath master

bath master New Member

You will need to pva before plastering.Most will tell you how. If the patches are deeper than mm i would use bonding coat. Depending on depth the plaster it needs to be thoroughly dry. Mapie do a primer that should be applied before tiling. Go to a tile shop to get adhesive etc and they can advise. Stay away from diy shops.

3. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Laird if its just the skim youve removed in patches then prime the wall with an acrylic primer and fill the patches with you mapei it will set quicker than the plaster and will speed up the process! ;)

4. tic tic

tic tic New Member

5. tic tic

tic tic New Member

6. The Laird

The Laird Member

Hi,

Thanks tic tic and blueassedfly!, I like the idea of the quick setting base as I am keen to tile fairly soon after.
    For reference, does Mapei do a siilar product as my local store stocks Mapei? They recommend Mapei Maxi for the walls, not Keraquick as I stated above (my mistake). They reckoned Maxi is workable a bit longer for a non-pro tiler like mysef, though I am fairly experienced.

Thanks again,
    Mark

7. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

dont know about mapei as i use bal on all my jobs! but if you have a topps nearby they sell the Bal quickset render. ;)

8. tic tic

tic tic New Member

NIVOPLAN

Levelling mortar for walls from 2 to 30 mm.
    Applications:
    Interior and exterior levelling “out-of-plumb” walls, rough or damaged renders, brick walls (for example before laying ceramic tiles). Suitable for applying in thin coats on all conventional surfaces (concrete, cement-lime mortar, cement mortar, etc.).
    To improve bonding or concistency of thin coats, add
    2 or 3 litres of Planicrete per bag.Coverage
    1.4 kg/m2 per mm of thickness.Packaging
    25 kg bags.

this is mapei version,i have never used this tho,but mapei are very good products...tho looking at the instructions there seems like more work in the mixing ratio than applying it to your walls.

if i was to use this i would probally give mapei a call first;)

9. tic tic

tic tic New Member

laird

member and prime your walls proir to tiling get mapei..PRIMER G..

10. The Laird

The Laird Member

Thanks again for your time tic tic. I will have a look at this one.

That's all my tiles finally off today, and to be honest the wall around the bath is a total mess, much more than patching now. These walls have taken off all the finish coat plaster altogether and I'm left with just a rough and raggedy base course, which to be honest doesn't feel too solid.

The other walls can be patched which is good. Mostly solid with a few small patches which came off.

I'm wondering now should I keep chiseling back to brick as the base is quite soft. I have a drill with chisel attachment which would rip it off in no time. Then I could just screw moisture proof plasterboard to the brick, prime, adhesive and tile then get the new shower back above the bath and job done.

How would that sound?

Mark

11. tic tic

tic tic New Member

if your looking to do your tiling asap.

take bath out first.

take all the old plaster off walls around bath.

then you can either stud wall out and use 12mm backerboards.
    or dot/dab M.R. plasterboard,full height with bath removed.
    use a wall tanking membrane on the p/board.. homelux/dura/ditra etc.