Patchy walls when painting?

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Laura0816, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Laura0816

Laura0816 New Member

okay, so I started redecorating my room, it looks good except, one wall from an angle looks so badly patchy it’s awful, I don’t know how to fix this, and the easiest way to fix this? I will attach a picture,I’d be sooo greatful for advice!!

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

From the photo the wall looks to have a texture probably from previous decorating, this requires sanding flat, it will be a nightmare of a job and best tackled with an orbital sander to shift it...............or line the wall with a quality lining paper after remedial preparation.

3. Laura0816

Laura0816 New Member

Ah thank you so much for helping me!! I had the same problem with 2 bathrooms also! It is a new build and the walls are definitely not smooth! So should I buy a sander or line it? What would you think be more effective? Thanks again! :)

4. Astramax

How are you at paperhanging?..........perhaps give sanding the wall a go first, you will have to do the whole wall to get it all the same finish! :(

5. RolandK

RolandK Active Member

I had a load of sanding ceilings and walls recently and got fed up with the dust so took a punt and tried a Marshalltown VS733 Dry WallSander £23 from Amazon, Was amazed how good it was for the money hooked up to my workshop vac. Wouldn't stand up to everyday use but ok on a diy basis. One of those and a roll of sanding mesh so you can cut your own sheets to go on it.

Astramax likes this.
  6. Astramax

That system would be hard work as it is human power, the lady poster would find a power sander requires a lot less brute force, got to say though that those types of sander and abrasive sheets do a brilliant job.

7. RolandK

RolandK Active Member

That's true it is hard work especially doing a ceiling and working overhead if you're not used to it. Did look at dust free power sanders but a bit pricey!

8. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

It's called paint flashing. Sand. Seal with acrylic primer like the layland primer undercoat from screwfix. Top off with a flat emulsion.

9. Laura0816

Laura0816 New Member

Okay thank you! I haven’t tried it before but yeh don’t know before you try! It’s not a big wall thankfully as I have a walk in closet taking lots of space!

10. Laura0816

Laura0816 New Member

Would I just do this over the effected area? Or the entire wall? Is it nothing to do with wall texture? Thank you for the advice :)

11. Laura0816

Laura0816 New Member

Oh I will look into that! I like doing DIY jobs so I am up to try whatever :)

12. Astramax

Plenty od vid's on YouTube!;)

13. Wayners

Do the entire wall with uc. Let it dry 6+ hours. Will give nice surface to paint however don't go back over yourself with emulsion after 2 minutes or paint may play up as will skin over. Let it dry 6+ hours and then second coat. What paint you using?

14. Laura0816

Laura0816 New Member

I am using valspar paint! It isn’t a thick paint but hopefully I can try what you’ve recommended and I don’t make a bad job of that to haha!

15. Astramax

Valspar.......................ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh dear:eek::( on here it's known as Valspar as we don't shout about that particular brand.

DIY womble likes this.
  16. Wayners

Ah. Valspar premium gold is self undercoating however, it goes a bit funny over pours surfaces on the first coat I have found. Very liquid plastic type paint and can pickle up. I prime with uc and sometimes I get it the undercoat tinted to stop the problems.