Patio 100mm below DPC

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by DIYer79, May 30, 2020.

1. DIYer79

DIYer79 New Member

Hi, I’ve laid a new patio it slopes away from my property 5m into an aco drainage channel. The height next to the house is only 100/110mm below DPC. If I put a French drain in I can peagravel that lower than the slabs so 112mm in total below dpc.
    Will it be ok or have I majority messed up and need to take the patio up? It’s 14x5 Meters so really don’t want to take it up if I’m safe not too.
    If I’m ok how wide should the French drain be?
    Thanks.

2. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Realistically as you have a fall and are 40-50 mm high, just go for a strip for pea gravel 100mm wide and forego the french drain ;)

DIYer79 likes this.
  3. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Don’t worry it will be fine. Make the french drain about 200 wide, the shingle will serve mainly to prevent slash back of rain into the wall as I guess you’ve put a fall on the patio away from the house.

DIYer79 likes this.
  4. DIYer79

DIYer79 New Member

Great thanks everyone, that’s reassuring to hear it’s not a restart job. I’ll go safe and put a 200mm pea gravel trap. It just means the strip of slabs against the house will need cutting a bit narrower than the rest.