patio jointing ideas/advice

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by markmh, Sep 20, 2019.

1. markmh

markmh Member

ive laid my patio 450mm sq. buff slabs. i need to fill joints. I was going to use easy joint but working out the price/number of tubs its coming out ridiculous. so any advice/ideas anyone has would be welcome. its roughly 14-15 sqm. joints around 45-55mm deep (35mm thick slabs + mortar) and 10-15mm wide.

ive thought about sand and cement but dont really want grey joints with buff slabs. ideally i would have a buff/mushroom colour unless you can convince me gray would look good and have something i can sweep in dry.

is there anything anyone can suggest? is their a way of colouring a dry sand and cement mix?

thanks

mark

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can buy cement dye, in many colours,but final colour will depend on the sand (various colours) & cement used.

The sands available vary around the UK.

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

If you can get hold of a yellow (rather than red) plastering sand I would be happy with that as a colour - but it's not my patio. 3:1 mix for pointing.

Edit: If they're the slabs in your other thread (colour running), they look grey anyway

4. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

colure how you want dry wet mix

5. markmh

markmh Member

they are indeed, i guess they are more greyish than yellow. is plastering sand the same as building sand?

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

No. Don't use building sand. Plastering sand is a fine washed sharp sand. Depending on where you go it might just be called sharp sand but equally sharp sand might be what some suppliers call concreting sand - that would be too gritty/coarse for what you want.

I'm guessing that the stuff on your slabs is release/mould oil by the way. It should go away in time if I'm right.

7. markmh

markmh Member

i will have a look to see where i can get yellow plastering sand. thank you for your help. im hoping it will go away. it was on most of them, i ask my neighbour who made them and he said they will weather in time.

8. markmh

markmh Member

im thinking a combination of snowcrete and yellow plastering sand maybe the way to go, i will go with a 3:1 mix