Patio slab being laid, multiple loose/wobbling slabs before pointing

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by adam carroll, Apr 23, 2019.

1. adam carroll

adam carroll New Member

I have hired a landscaper to lay paving slab out my garden, things seem to be going to plan, they 1st put down a mot type 1 sub base and then a layer of sharp sand to which they are now laying the slabs on top using a sand and cement mix. They are 3/4 the way through but I've now noticed there are multiple loose/wobbling slabs throughout, pbviously pointing hasn't been done yet but I'm wandering if there's a bigger issue?

2. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

When you refer to “pointing” what do you mean? Are the slabs being dry laid or wet laid?

3. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Have a look at pavingexpert.com, they advocate laying slabs on a full bed of sand and not on a cement bedding. Link provided by another member.

4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

A sharp sand and cement mix is correct... it doesn't need much cement... about 10 sand to 1 cement is fine... but it should be fairly dry... not much more that "damp" is fine.

What isn't fine is any slabs rocking, AT ALL, before they finish. If they are rocking it's because the bed isn't full under the slab concerned. This should/must be rectified before the "pointing" or you're liable to get cracking in the future.

Regards,

Cando

Ben48 likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Old school here, prefer to lay slabs on a full mortar bed (4-1 mortar mix,sharp sand,some use 6-1 mix), not spot bedded, & keep the sand bed for block paving.

Ben48 likes this.
  6. adam carroll

adam carroll New Member

By "pointing" I mean filling the gaps betweens the slabs. The bed of sharp sand is dry but they put some wet cement/sand mix underneath each slab before laying

7. adam carroll

adam carroll New Member

I will be showing him the numerous rocking slabs this morning for him to rectify, I'm just hoping that they have been laid correctly that in the near future others don't start to loosen and rock.

Adam

8. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Ben48 and KIAB like this.